Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check password for accounts in Userdata in PPM Environments

Highlighted
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Check password for accounts in Userdata in PPM Environments

As we all know, PPM Environments have built in functionality to check the password and connection of accounts defined in OOO Environment fields. Our system is set up for ERP migration automations. After every quarter their passwords need to be updated in our environment after each quarterly password change.
We could instantly test the connection for accounts listed in out of the box fields using Check funcitonality as soon as the passwords are entered but would like to add a feature in PPM Enviroment so that we could validate the password for account defined in custom User Data fields as well so that we can validate whether or not correct password was entered even before anyone tries the migrations.
Sugestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Raj
5 REPLIES
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Re: Check password for accounts in Userdata in PPM Environments

Just a little more clearification:
I have heard that one could utilize "App Codes" to check for such accout from Environments but just couldn't figure out how :-(
Can anyone suggest how I can add the Userdata in the "App Codes" folder list so that password can be verified from within PPM Environment?
-Raj
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

We took a different approach to this problem. We created a request type that the id owners can use to update the password themselves. They select the id to be changed and enter the new password value and an environment to be used to validate the new password. The workflow validates the password by logging into the selected server with the new password. If the login succeeds, a database query is used to update the value in the environment and appcode tables.

This approach makes password maintenance a self-service function for the id owners and we do not get involved at all.
Raj Ghimire
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Jim that sure is a Great Idea !! Actually I am currently working on a similar logic to make this self service for our ERP Team as well but I liked your idea of "The workflow validates the password by logging into the selected server with the new password." I was kind of only working on updating the tables. I will make sure to include your suggestion in my plan as well.

But would you have any suggestion of how to valdiate the password of user listed in Userdata from the PPM Environment or any other part of workbench itself?
Thanks.
-Raj
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Our command to validate the password is:

ksc_connect_dest_server DEST_ENV="[REQD.P.VALIDATION_ENV]" USERNAME="[REQD.VP.RUNTIME_ID]" PASSWORD="[REQD.P.RUNTIME_PASSWORD]"

Tokens could be replaced to pull values from another location.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

As far as using user ids and passwords from appcode entries, we have the following command in many of our deployment object types:

ksc_connect_dest_server USERNAME="[DEST_ENV.APP="[P.P_SUB_PATH]".SERVER_USERNAME]" PASSWORD="[DEST_ENV.APP="[P.P_SUB_PATH]".SERVER_PASSWORD]"
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event