Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Workflows in PPM8.0

Highlighted
TurboPask
Occasional Contributor

Changing Workflows in PPM8.0

I have a lot of projects that are using the default 'PFM - Project' workflow but I need to move all the projects from this workflow to a new workflow. How can I do this?

I have the following ideas but would like to know if anyone else has done this:
1. create a jump/receive from the the old to the new workflow
2. do an SQL update of all requests to 'port' them onto the new workflow.

It might be helpful to note that all the Requests are in the first step of the 'PFM - Project' workflow.

Any assistance on how to change the workflow would be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES
TurboPask
Occasional Contributor

Re: Changing Workflows in PPM8.0

In fact I guess what I'm after is some kind of batch update process to move all my requests onto another workflow. Perhaps it's possible to use KCVS_UTILITIES.MOVE_REQUEST_IN_WF ?
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

The function you mentioned is used to move a request a long the workflow, not from one to another.
The jump step would allow you to jump to a subworkflow. But your new workflow will need to be declared as a subworkflow which then cannot be used alone for new projects.
I don't know what would happen if you changed the subworkflow back to a primary workflow after moving all your existing projects, but I assume that this could cause strange results.
TurboPask
Occasional Contributor

Based on the lack of response and the lack of support from HP I've decided to review my approach. Instead of changing workflows we'll just copy the existing and update the original. This way we don't need to migrate project or requests as we are modifying the original workflow.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Turbo, don't know how many we're talking about, but you could temporarily enable the Workflow field in the header and copy the existing requests, selecting the new workflow when you submit them. Then cancel the old requests.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event