Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Changing Work Plan schedule effort hours?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Dana Swanger_1
Valued Contributor.

Changing Work Plan schedule effort hours?

Hopefully this is a very simple question but I've been looking through the manuals, searched the forums, etc. and can't seem the find the answer. We just started working with project and work plans and notice that when setting the schedule on a task edit (Task Details) page, you can't change the Effort (hours) column. It just automatically sets it based on duration, start, and end dates. Someone please tell me I'm just missing a simple setting!
4 REPLIES
Ryan Grobler
Super Contributor.
Solution

Re: Changing Work Plan schedule effort hours?

On the resources tab - do you have a blue link on the right of the screen - "change to manual control"? (screen attached)

If yes, then by selecting this you can change the hours associated to the task.

If not - then you need to click on 'project settings' - cost and effort and change the setting that allows you to override the effort.
Ryan Grobler
Super Contributor.

Screenshot of project settings you'll need to change if you don't have the option to manually change the time under the 'resources' tab of the task
Dana Swanger_1
Valued Contributor.

Thanks a bunch Ryan. I knew I had to be missing something simple! Yes, I did have the setting correct in the project settings and that's why it was driving me NUTS that I then couldn't change the hours manually on the tasks! I'll have to note that as an education point for the project managers who will be using this because I know they'll probably be confused by that also. Thanks again!!
Dana Swanger_1
Valued Contributor.