Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you report time on a project after the project is closed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Greg_S
Collector

Can you report time on a project after the project is closed?

We are doing year end roll-ups, so we want to see all hours of all projects during the time period, even if the project closed, or completed during the time period.  There will be hours spent on the project during the reported time period. Can you report hours spent on a project after the project is closed?

7 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Re: Can you report time on a project after the project is closed?

Hi, Greg,

Yes, you can! :)

Check the Project Settings / Project Type Settings under Cost and Effort, category "After a task is complete, allow time to be logged: "

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Greg_S
Collector

That *seems* like it is allowing one to Add more time logged to the task after it is complete.
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, Greg,

I don't get the meaning of the *seems* - please explain.

You can configure the Project to allow submission of time after the task is closed, but you will not be able to submit time against a project if the workplan is closed.

What i would suggest is to create another dummy entity where latecomers to submit their delayed timesheets. Based on this, you can create a custom portlet to aggregate the time submitted while the project was alive and the time submitted after the project has been closed. Please note that in this approach it will be easy to identify the latecomers.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
Greg_S
Collector

We're pretty inexperienced with using project/program/portfolio stuff in PPM.  What I mean is: we're not trying to add time to a closed project. We just want to report time on the project, even though it might be closed, as most of our projects are open, with only a handful that are closed. Management wants to feel good that their closed project hours will show up on year-end Time Management reports.

I thought this would be possible, I just wanted confirmation from others.

You've given alot of extra good info - Thanks!!

Greg_S
Collector

New information: we want to prevent users from adding time to a project at a certain point.

I'm finding in our test system, even after I select Proj Settings > Cost and Effort > Time Mgmt, After a task is complete > selected "Do not allow", Time Management still allows me to put hours into the timesheet toward this projcect.

Seems like if I close the Work Plan or complete the Task or close the Project, this should prevent the user from adding time in Timesheet to the project.

Celil
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Greg,

1) There is some report to show you actuals for projects (even closed): Time Sheet Summary / Time Sheet Actuals

2) In addition to those reports you can use this SQL:

SELECT pp.project_name
, SUM(ae.actual_effort) actual_time
FROM tm_time_sheets t
, itg_components ic
, ktmg_work_items_v wi
, tm_time_sheet_lines l
, tm_actuals a
, tm_actuals_effort ae
, pm_projects pp
, knta_lookups lstat
WHERE ae.actual_effort > 0
AND lstat.lookup_code = l.state
AND lstat.lookup_type = 'TM - Time Sheet Line Statuses'
AND lstat.meaning = 'Submitted'
AND t.calendar_id = ic.calendar_id
AND t.time_sheet_id = l.time_sheet_id
AND a.time_sheet_line_id = l.time_sheet_line_id
AND a.actuals_id = ae.actuals_id
AND a.totals_flag = 'N'
AND l.work_item_type = 'TASK'
AND pp.project_id = wi.work_item_set_id
GROUP BY pp.project_name
ORDER BY pp.project_name

3) to prevent users from adding time to a project at a certain point; In Administration>Project Types&Templates select your project type, In Cost and Effort section, select  "Allow project managers to override these settings?" YES. With this selection, in any time, project managers can remove check from "Use Time Management to track actuals against this project." box.

OK?

PS: Please keep alive our forum via kudos the professionals

Celil

IT Governance Professional
& PPM Solution Architect
Greg_S
Collector

Everyone has been very helpful!! I was looking for confirmation that you can report time on closed projects - got that, good!
And we wanted to know how to prevent new time from being logged to closed projects - "you will not be able to submit time against a project if the workplan is closed." Good.
I also learned about how to goto "Administration>Project Types&Templates select your project type, In Cost and Effort section, select "Allow project managers to override these settings?" YES. With this selection, in any time, project managers can remove check from "Use Time Management to track actuals against this project." box." I've not drilled into the menus like that, so that was great! Thanks, all!!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event