Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you add an "Unnamed Headcount" to a Staffing Profile

Highlighted
kev marks
Regular Collector

Can you add an "Unnamed Headcount" to a Staffing Profile

I have added an "Unnamed Headcount" to a Resource Pool, but I can not use that Unnamed Headcount to be a placholder on a staffing profile.

Should this be able to work? It seems like if you have the headcount in the pool you should be able to assign it somewhere.

We have a valid business case for this

PPM Center 7.1 SP9

thanks
Kevin
6 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Can you add an "Unnamed Headcount" to a Staffing Profile

What are you not able to do (business case-wise)? Are these secret agents that you cannot disclose the names of? ;)

When you add a role to a SP then that _is_ the "placeholder" until an actual resource exists that can be assigned to that role.
kev marks
Regular Collector

I wish my job was that interesting to have secret agents, we just have network engineers, DBA's, nothing to exciting.

Our business case is - We are using RM for shared resources. Example, customer A does not know 1-2 months in advance what they are going to need from us, so we are more reactive at this point when it comes to staffing for them. We do know what people will be working on in the next 2 weeks for customer A. Customer A pays for a certain # of headcount for thier projects.

But other groups, customer B, do know what they will be doing 1-2 months out and they put in resource requests and the manager approves these requests.

So in some situations we have our resources 100% allocated and then customer A says they have a big project starting next week. Then we have to react by shuffling or hiring contractors.

What we want to do is , add unnamed headcount in the resource pool, then in a generic staffing profile (placeholder) we want to "reserve" a certain % of time for this unnamed headcount, so that when customer A gives us work we take that allocation from the placeholder profile and move it to the project profile.

Any suggestions?
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Network folks, DBAs...that's a good cover story.

I think I follow you...you want to "pre-allocate" some unknown resources to unknown future demand. But I still don't understand what assigning unnamed headcount gets you.

You can reserve the roles and time on your generic SP, in order to estimate future labor requirements. Then when you look at your Analyze Resource Pools it will show this effort as "unmet demand" and you can see the forecasted times when your assigned demand + unmet demand busts your named resource capacity, ie. the times you'll need to shuffle or hire out.

When Customer A has an actual plan of what they need, then you can reduce the allocation in your generic SP by the amount you add to the project's SP.
kev marks
Regular Collector

If i just add "reserve" time to the Placeholder project, how would this work? It would be to a role not an individual and it would not be allocated time, just unmet demand.

So in the reports/portlets it would show as unmet demand but we want it to show as allocated time. I was hoping we could create the unnamed headcount, give him a capacity of nothing(maybe 1%), which would not increase the total Resource Pool capacity, then assign this headcount to the reserve amount.
I'm not sure but i think I may have just answered my own question.

Let me know if this explanation is confusing or if you have any ideas?

thanks again
Kevin
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Unnamed headcount isn't assignable by definition. It's just a way to say "we think this resource pool will have more (named) capacity in the future" so when you look at the RM visualizations, there are two capacity lines on the charts: Named, and Total Capacity.

Are you intending for unnamed headcount to represent external resources?
Jyotir ++

Hi Kevin,

As Erik said Unnamed headcount isn't assignable ,then why not you use dummy users for this purpose.U can add those dummy user in Resource Pool as headcount as well as assignment would be also possible.

As you said you can suffle these dummy resources as per requirement.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Jyotir
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event