Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can we have multiple status names associated with single decision step?

Highlighted
Shravan Kathuri
Honored Contributor.

Can we have multiple status names associated with single decision step?

Hi,

Can we have multiple status names for the single decision step so that we can use this decision step in Iterative process for multiple approvals.

Actual our requirement is we dont know how many number of approvals for one request.For one request we may have one approvals and for another request we may have more than one approvals, so on... We want to handle this scnario using only one decision step having multiple status names. How to achieve this?

Thanks
Shravan kumar.K
7 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Can we have multiple status names associated with single decision step?

Hi,
unfortunately there is no way to have more than one status per step. You could use an additional field (not the status field) and populate it with a workflow parameter or maybe a rule. But there are also decision wf steps that allow 1 or more required approvals. The status will still be the same, you could see the details in "approval details" though.
I could think of ways to extract this information and show it in a read-only field with a rule that triggers on page load or displaying this info prominently in a portlet or report.
Alexandru Saven
Super Contributor.

hello,

first of all, my opinion is that a workflow should follow standard rules - this is the whole point of enforcing a workflow.

now, for your specific situation, it could be implemented in the following manner:
- have a single decision step and step security based on a custom token;
- after positive decision, route the workflow to an execution step which determines if extra approval is required, and if yes, it populates the custom token and the custom status token suggested by sascha, followed by re-routing to the decision step;
- make sure you have an exit condition at all times in order to avoid an infinite loop :).

let me know if this helps.

cheers
alex
himanshukumar
Trusted Contributor.

How are you deciding upon the number of multiple approvals? I think you need to use the same logic in your workflow. One way could be using the loop counter with the help of workflow parameters.

Thanks!
Himanshu
Alexandru Saven
Super Contributor.

by using any custom business logic :)
Shravan Kathuri
Honored Contributor.

Can we have Request Status in Workfloe step as Custom Token?

Thanks
Shravan kumar.K

Richard Woodman
Valued Contributor.

Here is another approach. Leave the status of the decision step blank and have steps that feed into your decision step set the status.

This allows you to use other workflow steps to determine if another approval is needed and if so, set the status to whatever you want.

This will allow you to have one decision step have multiple status values and then let you set status dependencies accordingly.
Phanishwar
Honored Contributor.

Richard you are correct..I have used this approach in my project..you can call a function at exc step that will update out of box field called [REQ.REQUEST_ID] .so same decision step could be used for different flows based on business logic.