The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we choose which fields to copy when copying a request?

Highlighted
Steven W.
Occasional Contributor

Can we choose which fields to copy when copying a request?

Hi all,

As per the title suggests, I was wondering if it is possible for us to select the fields to copy when we make a copy of a request.

Reason is I have some routing info in my request and when I make a copy, those routing info gets copied along as well.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: Can we choose which fields to copy when copying a request?

A copy will copy all of the fields, but you can create a Rule that triggers on create to clear any of your routing fields.
Steven W.
Occasional Contributor

hi jason,

thanks for the response. I suppose I should use the "On Creation" trigger?

rgds.

Hi,

do you use the copy button on to of the request? In this case all fields will be copied. The "On Creation" rules are not fired in this case. I had a discussion about this issue with HP support. The answer was: Currently no way. But we have opend an enhancement request.........

Sorry for the bad news.

Regards
Volker
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Where HP has no way, there are still other ways. You can use an execution step at the beginning of the workflow and use the ksc_store command to store empty values into the routing fields.
Steven W.
Occasional Contributor

hi volker,

thx for the input. did HP say anything about when they are going to implement this enhancement?

hi jason, thanks for the tip. I'll try it out.

thanks

Hi,

@Jason:
You are right.
After pressing the COPY button, the new request is not sent to the workflow. For this reason a execution step can't be used.

@Steven:
Sorry, I have no information about it.
But it can help to when you open a support case as well to give this enhancement a higher priority.

Regards
Volker
Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

When the request is first copied, just like when it is first created, it will be in the Not Submitted state. This is before it is sent through the workflow. The workflow step won't execute until after it has been submitted. One option would be to hide the routing fields during the Not Submitted status so the users won't see the previous values stored there.
Steven W.
Occasional Contributor

Hi Volker,

Yes, I have logged a case on this. Hope HP would do something about it...

Jason, my routing fields cannot be hidden but I guess its a matter of explaining/educating the customer that the fields will be cleared the moment the request is submitted. Have yet to try this though....

Will update when I've tried it out.

thanks!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event