Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can we change the Default region

Highlighted
ashu_21
Trusted Contributor.

Can we change the Default region

Can we change the Default region  from europe to global or japan ???

6 REPLIES
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Can we change the Default region

Hi Ashu,

this one is a bit unclear to me. At the time of the installation, you set base currency and localization. I might be missing something but I'm not aware of a default region. Can you be a bit more explicit about your problem? Again, I might have missed an installation step.If you remind me, I'll be able to give you an answer.

Best regards,

Dirk

ashu_21
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,Problem is that we are implementing PPM for multiple region.Earlier it was only for Europe region.Now we are implementing it for China and Japan as well.So that time we set euro as the base currency but now same thing we need to implement it for other region so ofcourse we need to change the currency also.HopeI cleared your doubt.

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Ashu,

I still don't really understand.

You create regions and associate currencies with them, based on the exchange rate with the base currency. this is documented in the guides

thus if you have the euro associated with a certain region (cannot be changed if the region is already in use), then you add further exchange rates with other currencies, add regions, add the new currencies to the regions, create projects with the appropriate regions.

In my view there is no such thing as a 'default' region. What you mean is the primary region you created with the base currency associated. While you cannot disable the region, you can create a new one and associate it with the same currency. So I can create regions for Italy, Spain, Germany and France all with Euro.

for your purposes, you can create either one region for Asia and add both China and Japan, but currency-wise that doesn't make sense - so you'd associate regions for China with currency Rinminbi and Japan with Yen respectively, then create projects in those regions. the local currency will be recalculated based on the exchange rate that you added to the new currency and shown in the FinSum accordingly. The only downside is the visibility for those users that have base currency set to base currency in the edit my profile settings. I don't see the added value for changing the base currency or region here (see other thread), since if you have several regions and currencies, it doesn't really make much difference. It WOULD make sense if you have the multitude of projects in ONE region, but if it's spread out, everything is done via exchange rates.

Does that help?

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ashu,

continuing Dirk's post: whenever we have a fresh PPM installation, the default region required during installation is a dummy one, which we never use.

Also, there is the option to Change the Default Region - check the product documentation, please.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Alex,

there is? Best bet that only works if the region is NOT in use yet. I'll check that also.

Best regards,

Dirk

dirkf
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi all,

changing the default region IS possible.

'open' -> 'administration' -> 'change default region'

Best regards,

Dirk

- Kudos always welcome -