Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can validations with Delimited Output store more than 1 value?

Highlighted
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Can validations with Delimited Output store more than 1 value?

I am following the example in the Commands and Tokens validation guide for validations with Delimited Output. In the example, they are using 'cat' filename to return a value. I need to read a delimited file, but it has 4 values per row, and not one. My validation is working in my request type, but it only stores the first column header. I need to be able to reference all 4 values in my request type commands (I am executing scripts later and I need to be able to pass all 4 values to the script when it executes).

Is there any way to reference more than one column header in this type of validation?

If not, is it possible to build a table component with this validation and store the values into tokens? I tried, but it looks like they have to be built as rules using SQL.. which I dont think is possible.
2 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Can validations with Delimited Output store more than 1 value?

Two values will be stored: one in the hidden field and one in the visible field. The first value returned by your command will go into the hidden field and the second value will go into the visible field. Additional fields will be displayed in columns as labeled in the validation. The fields will be delimited by the delimiter character specified in the validation.

You can store whatever you want in the hidden field, including a character delimited list that uses a delimiter other than the one used by the validation. For instance, if you have four values: v1, v2, v3 and v4, and you want all of them available after selection, your lines could look something like this:

v1|v2|v3|v4,v1,v2,v3,v4
bzdafro
Honored Contributor.

Re: Can validations with Delimited Output store more than 1 value?

Thanks Jim, that might work. I will run some tests. If your going thru some other postings, I have another one for Java DNS alias caching. I'm really stuck on that one. Thanks again for your quick help.