Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete projects/proposals

Highlighted
Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Can't delete projects/proposals

So, I've done some design work and tested it out by creating some projects/proposals.  Now I want to got through and delete those test projects and proposals.  I was able to delete about 20 of them.  There are ten left. (5 proposals/5 Projects)

I keep getting the following error while trying to mass delete them.  The delete button is not on the page if I open them up individually.

"You have successfully deleted 0 requests.
we were unable to delete 5 requests as they are associated to projects" 

I went in and removed the 'references' so I would think there is no association now.  Is there something else I can try?

12 REPLIES
AlexSavencu
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't delete projects/proposals

hi, Andy,

you should have not deleted the references!

There is no multiple delete available for projects - and this is the way it should be.

In order to delete the projects, you should open each project and delete them one by one. In a normal situation, it would also delete the associated request, but in your case it is possible to require deleting the requests after deleting the projects.

cheers

alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
erik_c
Regular Collector

Since version 8, deleting projects that were spawned from proposals is not allowed. This is by design/defect, depending on your point-of-view  :smileytongue: (refer to KM796919 and defect QCCR1L16749)

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

Erik,

Thank you!  So what do I do now?  We have some test projects on our production server, (Just to make sure that everything was working) and now I can't delete them... How do I resolve this? 

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

as a general piece of information that adds on to Erics true comments:

PPM 8.0 does have a new concept of Financial Summary and Life cycle. Shortly it can be said that the Financial Summary is a placeholder for all costs/benefits and that a lifecycle comprises the transitions from one phase to another, e.g. the transition from Proposal to Project, from Project to Asset and from Asset or Proposal to Project.

As cost/benefits are spread across phases it is a functional requirement not to be able to delete entities which are part of this lifecycle. This behaviour is by design."

There has been an enhancement request opened for this matter with an ER id#QCCR1L15785, asking for the ability of being able to set up a way to allow certain users to be able to delete projects with these characteristics.

If I understand this correctly, you may now however have some dirty data in the database due to the removal of the references. This is not good. I suggest running the following and adding the results to a new ticket with PPM-support to get assistance on the cleanup-chore:

select pfm_lifecycle_parent_entity set proposal_req_id = NULL where proposal_req_id IN
(
SELECT PROPOSAL_REQ_ID
FROM pfm_lifecycle_parent_entity
WHERE proposal_req_id IS NOT NULL
AND proposal_req_id NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT request_id FROM kcrt_requests)
)

Best regards,

Dirk

PS  hope you don't have any assets linked to proposals and projects as well ...

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Add-on to my last note - you can run the same query but execute for projects and assets to get those values as well.

Andy McMahon_1
Collector

I got an error from your query.  I'm confused. Is un-referencing something horrible?  These comments sound like I destroyed the DB, when I don't think that's the case. I just have two entities that used to be connected that aren't.  We didn't have any financial anything setup or Asset anything, just the project/proposal relationship that is created.  

I just want to delete them. Will this really require a ticket to HP?  That's totally fine, just making sure. seems so silly. lol.  

erik_c
Regular Collector

Andy, projects that were created from proposals share the same financial summary and thus even though you removed the references they still are tied together behind the scenes. HP has not yet provided the ability to remove these and is maintaining referential integrity by just disallowing deletes. We have some test ones in our prod environment, too. They're just shown as "cancelled".

dirkf
Honored Contributor

Hi Andy,

I sure don't want to give you the impression that you're breaking any rules. Fact is that I'm sure you want a consistent set of data and I think the best way  - if you don't want to follow Erics guidance to just cancel them - is to have them removed by RnD coz they will give you a supported way of doing this.

Best regards,

Dirk

Sascha_1

Hi Dirk,

i have a similiar problem with the relationship between projects and requests.

First i deleted all existing requests in the test system. After that i deleted all existing projects, one by one.

But i have still one request (Search all requests, included closed), which i want to delete. But everytime i get the error message: "Cannot load the Project with the specified id: 30982. Project may be deleted by another user."

But there is no project 30982 existing in PPM.

Do you an idea where i can delete the relationship for the request, so that i can delete the request in PPM.

Thanks in advance

Sascha

roxor

Hello,

ths sound very strange to me that we are not able from now to delete something in PPM. As I nderstand it is not possible to delete e.g. Project with Financial Summary, which was created from proposal?

I would say, that we will have a lot of troubles with this if I understand it well,
Mikia
Super Collector

Hi Sascha,

I'm Mara and I've the same problem: "Cannot load the Project with the specified id: XXXXX. Project may be deleted by another user."; what did you do? I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot

Mara

Juan Manuel Sal
Acclaimed Contributor

Estimados, yo he encontrado esta solución para las proposals

1. Poner editable el campo de request type en el header.
  2. Elegir un request type cualquiera (uno de prueba creado a tal fin, o el que viene con PPM que se llama BUG o algo asi)
  3. Grabar y listo, ahora ya debería aparecer el botón de delete (siempre y cuando tengamos los permisos para usarlo sobre ese nuevo req type)

No lohe probado para proyectos aún.

Saludos.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event