Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can a request be generated off a change to a data element?

Highlighted
Carolyn Barmeie
Trusted Contributor.

Can a request be generated off a change to a data element?

We would like to be able to generate a request when a project status value in a drop down changes to a particlular value. Is it possible first off, to generate a request by making a change to a data element on a project? We currently have situations where requests are generated when a workflow is advanced using an execution step but nothing while the project stays on the current workflow step. Make sense?

Thanks, Carolyn
7 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Can a request be generated off a change to a data element?

Off the top of my head, you could do this by having parallel workflow steps that timeout at a particular interval, then check your value to see if a request should be spawned, and either spawn it or go back to the first step to sleep until next check.
Tim Brandish
Honored Contributor.

I'm a little unclear as to what type of "data element" you're talking about. Are you referring to a field in the project request type or a drop down you see while editing the workplan?

From the project request type, you can set up a rule that would call a stored procedure that can create a request using the interface tables.

From the workplan, you would have to write a trigger that would create the request when the project status value column in the database is updated. The trigger would create a request using the interface tables.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Carolyn,

Just need one clarification/information before suggesting anything.

When you say the project status is changed, so is it changed and only the Save button is clicked or is it changed while coming from a previous workflow step? Please let know as that would open up or help in getting some or more specific ideas/solutions based on what point of time the status changes.

Thanks,
Darshan
Carolyn Barmeie
Trusted Contributor.

Sorry, I thought I sent a response yesterday...

For example, if the Project Health data field was changed to Red and the project was Saved and not advanced to the next step, we would like this change in value on this field to generate a new request (issue or what we are coming a new jeopardy request). This could happen at any workflow step.

I am not truly clear on the interface tables that Tim referenced but I wanted to take this back to my team to discuss.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

If you want to create a request on field change when the Save button is clicked (i.e. without moving forward the request in the workflow) then I agree that you may need to setup a trigger on this field. Trigger may cause a minor performance issue as they are active and sit there looking all the time for the field change.

The interface tables are the Request Interface tables that can create requests in the system. You will get all the details about this in the OpenAPI.pdf guide on how to create the requests using the interface tables. Interface tables are the ones that can used for such custom solutions or integrating with another system. These tables are not the core or main PPM database tables. This is to prevent anyone directly updating the main tables of the PPM just as an added safety. All the data in the interface tables are usually verified for correctness before inserting into the main tables, in this case, the interface tables would be kcrt_requests_int, kcrt_request_details_int

and so on, whereas the main tables are

kcrt_requests, kcrt_request_details

But at the end, this is going to be a big effort to create request on field change and without moving on to next workflow step.

Instead, if you want you can send a notification to the concerned group of people on this field change, and then they can create the required request manually in the system. That will save the huge effort, performance degradation, etc. and chances of having errors.

Thanks,
Darshan
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

I forgot to mention, and you may already be knowing this, that a notification can be generated ootb on field change, so that won't be a custom solution and very easy to setup.
Tim Brandish
Honored Contributor.

Another option, if you'd like to avoid the trigger/interface tables and you really need to create the request programatically (and you have a perl/soap programmer)

you could have a notification triggered when the field changes, have that notification sent to an account that pipes all emails to the perl script. Then process the email, use data in the email to create a soap call to the PPM web services.