Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Can PPM automatically create requests on a schedule?

Highlighted
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Can PPM automatically create requests on a schedule?

Hi,
For auditing purposes, we need to periodically create some specific requests. In one example, we need one created every 6 months. We are currently relying on database jobs (Oracle) to call procedures for this purpose. It works, but we have had some reliability issues.

Is there some way we can configure PPM to do this? Can we somehow schedule the creation of a request?

Thanks - Jim
4 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr_1
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Can PPM automatically create requests on a schedule?

Hi Jim,
you could have a request type that has a workflow with a six month timeout. But this way you would use the same request every six months.
There is a create request execution step you could use to spawn new requests from the same workflow but that execution step is manual, i.e. it does not create requests in the background.
I have had no negative experience with the timeout mechanics of PPM workflows so far, so this may be an option for you. (we use it for review cycles in asset workflows and others)
Regards
Sascha
Łukasz Czech
Super Contributor.

Hi Jim,

as Sasha suggested, you can use workflow step with timeout to itself to create new requests on regular basis. We use it in projects to create automatically progress reports. The only thing is you need to copy an existing request (let say some kind on template - request with no values in form), as creating new requests is not possible as far as I know.
You can use executions step with following code to do that:

ksc_copy_request FROM_REQUEST_ID="[TEMP_REQFROM]" REQUEST_TYPE_ID="[TEMP_REQTYPE]" WORKFLOW_ID="[TEMP_WF]" COPY_FIELDS="N" COPY_NOTES="N" CREATE_REFERENCE="Y" REFERENCE_RELATIONSHIP="Child of this Request" SUBMIT="Y"

WHERE FROM_REQEST_ID is an ID of template request, REQUEST_TYPE_ID is type of this request and WORKFLOW_ID is aorkflow to be used with new request.

Good luck and best regards
Lukasz Czech
Vibhor Dwivedi
Super Contributor.

PPM Report can be used for this purpose which can be scheduled
Jim Bowen
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks all - I have created a report that does a 'copy request' call, and can now schedule it. I did need to make a copy of the special command and remove the PROCESS_RULE parameter, as this failed every time. Without that, it does seem to work.