Can PPM Prompt for input data

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
ramana.vkn
Super Contributor.

Can PPM Prompt for input data

Hi,

We have had a query as to whether a portlet can prompt a user for an input when we run it. For example, we may want to look at all Requests created from (and possibly before) a certain date, where this date will not always be the same and as such we would not want to hardwire that in the search.

Can we modify this field so that it prompts for the start and end date every time when user searches the requests.
9 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Can PPM Prompt for input data

You can create filters on the data source that can provide this functinality. We have filters set up that specify start times, end times, last x days, this year, last year, etc. The portlet must be edited, though, to set or change a value, though. I know of no way for a portlet to prompt for input other than making filter selection required.
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

When you create the data source (the background query) for the portlet, the filter fields by default are not required, but you can make them required.
Back at the dashboard, you can also configure the portlet definition, and for the preference fields you can cause them to be required, as well.
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.

If you want the user to be asked by PPM for a start and end date every time he accesses the dashboard page with the portlet, this is not possible. In this case you may want to use a report that lists the requests. For the report you can set start/end date as required filters.
ramana.vkn
Super Contributor.

Hi Jim/Greg,

Can you please let me know how do we make the filter fileds mandatory?
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

Hello, Ramana. I have created detailed instructions, along with screenshots, in the attached document.
Good luck!
ramana.vkn
Super Contributor.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the doc.

But even here once we enter the date, every time we search the request it returns the same result sinc the date is not changed.

Our requirement is when ever users clicks on dashboard, he should be asked for start and end date. Is this possible?
ramana.vkn
Super Contributor.

Hi Sascha,

Can you please let me know how do we set start/end date as required filters in reports?
Sascha Mohr
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

In report definitions you have per filter field the option of making them mandatory (and even depending on other filter fields). I'll attach a screenshot; unfortunately it's not in english, but the field, buttons etc. are in the same places, so it should be easy to find anyway.
Report definitions are easy to configure, the report itself though may mean some effort if the existing ones don't suit your needs.
Regards
Sascha
Greg_Shrout
Super Contributor.

I concur - the report is the better way to go for what you want to do.
-Greg