Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Best Way to Migrate Latest Code

Highlighted
Tommy Honahan
Trusted Contributor.

Best Way to Migrate Latest Code

Hello All,

I'm looking for the best solution to migrate Baseline Code + Defect Fixes to a new environment. For Example, lets say I have:

A.sql version 1
B.sql version 1

Both files were migrated to the Test_1 environment. Both these files had defects, so version 2 of these files was later migrated.

Now I want to migrate the latest and greatest code to the new Test_2 environment. Given I only have 2 files, this is no big deal - but in the real life scenario, there is 500 objects all at different versions. Rather then having the developers re-create all their packages with the latest version of the objects, is their an automated solution that basically pulls the latest version of all the files from Test_1 and creates a mass migration package to be migrated to Test_2?

Right now, the only solution I can think of is re-migrating all the packages which went into Test_1 in the exact same order, including defect fix packages when Test_2 is first created.

But I do not like this approach as I would be migrating broken code into the environment, and then migrating on top of it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Tommy