Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I move my request type to a report, has anyone created requests from reports?

Highlighted
bzdafro
Collector

Before I move my request type to a report, has anyone created requests from reports?

I have a request type that when submitted immediately executes some scripts and closes.    I wanted to schedule this to run weekly.   This can be done from a report (which we do for packages - we have a report that automatically creates a package and submits it).  However I can't seem to find a way to do this with a request.  HP tech support said this functionality is not available.  I wanted to see if anyone found a way to do this, before I move all my fields and commands over to a report.  

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Before I move my request type to a report, has anyone created requests from reports?

We have some request types that execute some scripts, then transition to a decision step that times out after a given period and loops back to the execution step. Certainly not elegant but it accomplishes the periodic execution you are looking for.

Jason Nichols K
Honored Contributor

Re: Before I move my request type to a report, has anyone created requests from reports?

I've implemented similar timeout loops like Jim mentioned, but if you need these to execute at specific times, you are better off going with the scheduled report. The timeout loops will eventually loose time over time because of processing time of the steps and schedule of checking for the timeout condition. Just something to think about.
bzdafro
Collector

Didn't think about the timeout.   I will consider that since it just needs to run every Friday.    Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Jason is correct that the execution time cannot be set precisely. Execution will be triggered by the Workflow Timeout Reaper which, for us, is scheduled to run every 15 minutes. If a constant is used in the step timeout, it can easily drift. When the drift has been unacceptable, we have calculated the time in minutes until the next execution time and saved the value in a field on the request. The timer is then set to use this user defined token. We still have the 15 minute granularity for execution but the drift is eliminated.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event