Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baseline Project Plan in HP PPMC v9.x

Highlighted
Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Baseline Project Plan in HP PPMC v9.x

Hello,

Wanted to gather how everyone is approaching or would approach solving for the following -

1. PM develops a project plan in Microsoft Project

2. PMO approves the plan and uploads the Microsoft Project in HP PPMC v9.x

3. The Project Plan is baselined in HP PPMC v9.x
4. Schedule metrics are tracked and reported from HP PPM v9.x (i.e. SPI, CPI)

Scope Change Request Impacts the Project

1. An approved scope change request comes and requires that several tasks in the HP PPMC v9.x project plan get updated

2. Whole project is re-baselined as there is no functionality to re-baseline specific tasks from a project plan in HP PPMC v9.x

3.  Schedule metrics are tracked and reported from HP PPM v9.x 

Scope Change Request and Late Tasks impact the Project

1. An approved scope change request comes and requires that several tasks in the HP PPMC v9.x project plan get updated

2. Planned Start and Finish dates for several tasks that are running late are updated in HP PPMC v9.x

Now at this point, the PM only needs to rebaseline the tasks which were impacted by the approved Scope Change Request, and does not wish to update the baseline for the tasks that are running late.  How can this be accomplished with HP PPMC v9.x?  Is there a techincal solution - if not, then what is the recommended process solution.

Eager to hear others experiences,

Thanks,

Abdullah

4 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: Baseline Project Plan in HP PPMC v9.x

Abdullah!

If those late tasks still have their original scheduled start/finish then they'll still show as late after re-baselining, right?

Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Yes, if the original Planned Start and Finish dates aren't changed then it will continue to show as late.

But it is also common practice to update the Planned Start and Finish dates for tasks to reflect the delay in schedule. These tasks are not baselined so that they continue to show as late and behind schedule. This is how, to my knowledge, metrics are calculated in MS Project.
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can't really think of a good solution for this. We're not that sophisticated here in that we're not holding firm baselines that we report against.

From a technical point of view, I suppose it would be possible to create a script (run via report execution) that would "reset" the task dates of a baseline to the dates in a previous baseline, so you could re-baseline the whole project then "correct" it back to the original planned dates...?

Wonder if there's any ERs on this?

Abdullah Rafiq
Regular Collector

Thats a possible solution.  I'll try to come up with a process workaround - atleast I hope I can.  I'll share what I find and propose as a solution.

Always good to hear from you Erik

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event