The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-open of Table component

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Anne Gates
Occasional Contributor

Auto-open of Table component

We are using a table component on a request. Is there a way to have it automatically open when the user looks at that request (e.g., search for request, then click on the request number and is routed to a page with that request displayed)?

Thank you,
Anne
9 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Auto-open of Table component

Hello Anne,

Can you please elaborate the exact business need. Its a bit unclear from the question text. Couldn't understand specifically the searching of request related to opening of a table component automatically. What kind of information are you storing in the table component? Why does it needs to be opened automatically? Why does user not want to simply click on the table component button? Please explain some more details to know the exact issue.
Anne Gates
Occasional Contributor

Hello Darhan,

Thank you for the questions. We are planning a new request form and the table component will capture nearly all of the information used (other than created by and creation date). Since anyone accessing the form will be doing so primarily just to see what's in the table and to modify its content, it would be nice to eliminate the extra mouse-click each time they access the request form. Perhaps a bit unique, but those are the requirements for this request :). We tossed around the idea of creating multiple sections within the request instead of each potential table row, but they really want to have unlimited rows and to have the data more compactly viewable as it is in a table.

Anne
Anne Gates
Occasional Contributor

'Darshan'...my apologies for the type-o...again, thank you for the help.

Anne
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Hello Anne,

There's no out-of-the-box feature to auto-open the table component. I also wanted to understand the requirements so we can check any other possible alternatives. But looking at the requirement of having unlimited rows in the requests, table component may be the only option. The only way to auto-open it will be through customization of the EditRequests.jsp or the table component entity itself. Customization will be quite complex and time consuming and even if done will need to re-apply with every patch or version upgrade. I don't think really there may be other option for that.
Anne Gates
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the answer...you have saved me from additional searching.

Anne
Anne Gates
Occasional Contributor

Question was answered.
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

Hi Anne,

could you do me a favor and also pose this question to HP Support, asking for an enhancement to the product?

I already did this a few months ago - the more we ask for it, the earlier it could make its way into the product!

Thanks,
Torsten
Kintana strikes back... ;-)
Torsten Neumann
Super Collector

This is what I asked for in Enhancement Request #199012:

Table components in requests in Demand Management are very inconvenient for the users. To view table contents you have to open the table (it is not possible to directly show the table contents in the request form).

To edit table entries, even more clicks are necessary.

I would suggest a functionality where you could select in the table component validation, whether the table content should be rendered directly into the request form. Ideally, it would be a component (e.g. Applet or AJAX) that could be edited directly in the request form ("Excel-like" editing).

Scenario

Table components are used very often; whenever there is a 1:many relation of a request to other data, the table component is the natural choice.

I had this demand at all customer sites I worked at so far. Because of the poor usability, we always had discussions whether table components should really be used.

Workaround

Two workarounds:
1) Estimate the maximum number of entries and configure normal fields (for 3 columns and an estimate of 5 rows this would mean 15 fields).

2) Use a second request type for the 1:many relationship and link "table entries" (rows) as referenced requests.
Kintana strikes back... ;-)
pdhawan
Super Collector

This feature has been planned for long and will be released in 7.5.

This was confirmed by Tonya during the webinar on 7.5 features...Just FYI...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event