Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Associate separate dropdown lists in a object type

Highlighted
Mika Epstein
New Member.

Associate separate dropdown lists in a object type

I have a strange setup, where there are multiple paths a workflow follows, based on the request.

I have a dropdown list to choose 'Portal 1, Portal 2, Portal n'

I need to be able to later say that Portal 1 then calls Server 1 and Server 2.

Previously my predecessor hard coded this into the command, making us need multiple sub-workflows when we made new portals. Sadly, we make them a lot. I'm in the process of re-doing his kludge, but I want to just be able to say Portal #, and have the command call the server related to that portal.

Am I crazy?
4 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Associate separate dropdown lists in a object type

Hi Mika,

To get more details, is it that when a user selects portal 1 in a field on the form, the workflow should get routed to server1 and server2 and if the user selects say portal 2 then the workflow should get routed to server 3 or so? Is this what the issue is or something else?

If you have this mapping already in the system, then you can simply use the tokens in the execution steps instead of the hardcoding done by the predessor.

In the execution step select Execution Type as Token. Processing Type as Immediate. And in the Execution write your sql or your token based on how you are routing the request.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Then in the transition from this execution step, check what user has selected on the form and route that transition accordingly from that execution step.

In this case values in the the transition validation and the validation on the form must be exact same for this transition from the execution step to the next step (routing) to work.
Mika Epstein
New Member.

>> To get more details, is it that when a user selects portal 1 in a field on the form, the workflow should get routed to server1 and server2 and if the user selects say portal 2 then the workflow should get routed to server 3 or so? Is this what the issue is or something else? <<

Correct. Portal 2 takes you to Server 3 and 4, and portal n to server n1 and n2. There is the possibility for up to 12 Portals (I hate my design guys sometimes).

The workflow remains the same, that is it runs the same command on Server1 and 2 as it would on 3 and 4, the diference is, of course, the servers.

Right now we have a workflow step that calls the command, and it's in the command I want to specify which server. I know I could hard code it in the command and then have the branch off point be the portal, but then I end up with 12 directions for a workflow, and it seems so ugly.
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Mika,

If I understand correctly, I think you could:

- create a hidden field(s) that would contain the server name(s)
- use a rule on your dropdown that populates the hidden fields
- use a request type command that parses the tokens for your server names, triggered at the appropriate time by an "execute_request_commands" workflow step