The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval buttons through e-mail notification?

Highlighted
Dana Swanger_1
Super Collector

Approval buttons through e-mail notification?

Does anyone know of a possible way to include the Approved / Not Approved buttons on a request's stakeholder step in the e-mail notification?
14 REPLIES
Sanjay Valiyave
Super Collector

Re: Approval buttons through e-mail notification?

Hi MercuryD,

I am from Patni Americas, an HP Software silver alliance partner and we have a mobility solution for HP PPM that enables approvers to take action on request workflows via BlackBerry devices and other smartphones.

We are listed on the HP PPM Solution catalog and also on the HP website:
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.5179cc2b5bf6406ac6713f8da973a801/?productId=23980

You can view the solution brief at:
http://tinyurl.com/emailplugin

I'd be happy to give you a demo of our solution anytime - let me know when you have about 45 minutes to an hour. You can mail me or call me on 314 409 4840 and I'll set it up.

Regards,
Sanjay
314 409 4840
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Can you explain more on your requirement clearly?

Regards,
Mahendran M
Dana Swanger_1
Super Collector

For clarification, we have a workflow step in our requests for stakeholder approvals. The approval steps have Approved, Not Approved, and Delegate Decision buttons coming from a validation. The stakeholders receive a notification when that step becomes eligible and it would be nice if I could include the Approved, Not Approved buttons right in the e-mail but haven't been able to find a token to do that or a URL that I could build a button around that would go straight to approved or not approved. We don't want to buy third party software as this is just being researched as a "wouldn't this be nice to have" right now.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

To my knowledge, this is not a very easy requirement that can be done, You can try with webservices which calls for the Workflow from your Outlook.

Kindly let me know if you successfully implement this.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Dana Swanger_1
Super Collector

Thanks for the idea. I'm not sure my company will want to entertain such a complicated solution but I'll post back if we do get this implemented somehow.
Sanjay Valiyave
Super Collector

Hi MercuryD,

We built a solution for approving requests two years ago and we have been through a couple of iterations ourselves and learnt a few lessons along the way. :)

The solution comes with a self installation utility and most customers are up and running in a days time.

Our solution does not alter the HP PPM database schema - so you won't face any issues when you upgrade and we provide support for versions of PPM 5.5+.

Anyway, get in touch if you change your mind.

Regards,
Sanjay
314 409 4840
Sangiliraja_1
Collector

Hi Sanjay,

I am very much intrested to see the implementation.
Would you be able to walkthrough your implementation whenever you are free.

Sangliraja@gmail.com is my personal id and 214 607 3440 is my contact no.

Thanks
Sangiliraja.P
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

The 7.5 SP4 Release Notes indicate something is built into PPM with that patch. There is a note that it is a separately licensed piece, though.
Sangiliraja_1
Collector

Thanks for the update.

Sanjay Valiyave
Super Collector

Yes, that is correct - HP PPM 7.5 SP4 will include email approval notification as a separately licensed feature.

If you are interested in that, let me konw and I can connect you to the right person in HP.

-Regards
Sanjay
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

This same functionality is also, BTW, fairly easily implemented with a pl/sql script (you need at least 10g) called by the scheduler of your choice. We're using a PPM Report to call it.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Erik,
Can you kindly share the PL/SQL after removing your companies sensitive items?
Thank you.

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Sorry - for a variety of reasons I can't give away our script but what I can do is point you toward the capabilities of Oracle's utl.tcp package and PPM's workflow transaction interface. Hope this helps.
EMSTEAM
Collector

Erik, can u please share the flow i.e. not code if you dont want. I need to know how did u manage low level updates in approvalm1, probsummarym1 tables since approvalm1 is i believe temper proof because of hexa-key column. Problem is not generating email through UTL_TCP or javascript. problem is how to circumvent this hexakey. Has setting querysecurity to false in XML any role in ur solution !?!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event