The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approach for the migration of OS

Highlighted
SureshR
Regular Collector

Approach for the migration of OS

Hi Team,

Currently we are having HP PPM 8.02 on HP UX environment.

Our customer wants to move the HP UX environment with Linux (ideally VMs). Please let us know what approach will be suitable for the migration of OS. If anyone has done this thing before, please share any document or plan for the migration activity

Regards,

Suresh Ratoori

9 REPLIES
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Re: Approach for the migration of OS

You can find what you are looking for in the Installation and Administration Guide in the chapter Migrating Instances.

SureshR
Regular Collector

Hi Jimy

Yeah, I had gone through with this document. I want to know When the Linux will install on the machine then shall we need to install the fresh HP PPM installation on that machine or is there any way to migrate whole dump from UNIX to Linux.

Cheers!

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Hi Suresh,

There is no direct method..

You need to firsh install a new PPM instance on Linux machine... then need to follow the clone approach to sync the new server.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
SureshR
Regular Collector

Thanks Utkarsh for your reply. We have some Deployment object type which are created for the UNIX platform...shall we need to change all those object type as well...

Cheers!

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Utkarsh,

Why is it necessary to do a new install on the Linux box? We have migrated to new AIX servers several times without needing to do an install first. I have not worked specifically with Linux but would be surprised if it is unique in this regard compared to other UNIX flavors. Other supporting applications like the Oracle client and Java will need to be installed but that is always needed and is not part of the PPM install itself.

Utkarsh_Mishra
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Yes, I agree with you that directly migrating the dump will do the work. But this is perfect solution if the new server has exactly the same architure (file system).

But, considering that the migration is on Virtual Machine and secondly it would be better that if every configuration is defined during the installtion (like java_home, oracle settings, port and many more details...)..

This will avoid the debugging, if required.

Also if the root path is changed in the new machine or any other conf is changed, then in PPM at many places these need to be updated. So I belive this would become a mess.

I may be wrong, but I feel that installing a new instance and then cloning it.. would be a better option.

Cheers..
Utkarsh Mishra

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
SureshR
Regular Collector

Hi Jim and Utkarsh,

Thanks to both of you for valuable comments. You people mean that we can move the dump from UNIX to Linux and it will work without fresh installation. My question is the kernel/shell architecture of both the OS should be different then……..Data will map in Linux correctly? Also please let me know that, Is PPM OS and machine independent? Because we are installing the Linux in different machine.

Cheers!

Suresh

Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

PPM is written in Java and is run on the Java Virtual Machine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_virtual_machine). It will run on any platform with the JVM installed.

PPM requires the Bourne shell to operate. On Linux and Cygwin, this is provided with the Bash shell. The Bourne shell is standard on all flavors of UNIX.

SureshR
Regular Collector

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers!

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event