Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a default note to a request.

Highlighted
Sevilay
Collector

Adding a default note to a request.

Hi,

i want to learn if it is possible to add a default note for a request type.
As soon as the request is created this default note should be seen and can be editable.
How can i do this?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Adding a default note to a request.

I have seen something similar in a presentation from an HP consultant. It was used to describe what the RT was meant to be used for.
I think it was a text area as the first field in the header with HTML content (read-only) that probably was only visible in the "not submitted" state.
It seems to be a good supplementary help text in addition to the usual field help.
If you go for editable, you will probably have to live without HTML formatting.
Sevilay
Collector

Sacsha,

did you check it ?

Because i couldn't see any type of that field in the request header type.

Maybe i misunderstand you.

Can you give more detail?

Thanks.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

It has been a customized request header. Most likely he added a custom field of type text area to it, gave it field prompt like "Hint:" and then added whatever text should be displayed in HTML format as constant default value for it.
Then make it visible for status "not submitted" and no other status (and optionally readonly in general).
Please have a look at the attachment.
Instead of using a constant default, you could also use a rule that populates the field and have the rule fire on page load. This way you could use the same text area with different texts for different statuses.
Sevilay
Collector

Sascha,

may be this solution can be used.But the user insist on that the constant description should be apperaed on the notes section and should be editable before submitting the request.

Thanks again.
Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think there is a way to have a default for the notes field. You can make a note mandatory from one wf step to the next but not from not submitted to the first step of the workflow.
Sevilay
Collector

Sacsha,

it may be ok.

But i couldn't find the note field neither in request nor in request header.

Thanks.

Sascha Mohr
Esteemed Contributor

That's right in the request type and the request header type in the workbench you cannot change the standard sections of the request like Notes, Status, References etc.
They are alway the same.
Johan Holmqvist
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I frequently use the technique Sascha is talking about. Though I dont recommend populating the text area with rules as the formatting gets all messed up. Use a constant. You dont need HTML formatting, I dont even think HTML is interpreted. Just put the text as you want it to show to the user.
Johan
"It work´s but I have´nt tested it"
tc_onur
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi,

you can put a custom token where you store notes mesaages in either request detail or header, then set display notes history attribute = true, in request creation process, set the first step to be an execution step where you set your custom token. After that the change in yoru custom token will be added to notes section.

I hope this works.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event