Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Workplan in PPM from an existing MS Project

Highlighted
victoria loft
Collector

Adding a Workplan in PPM from an existing MS Project

Our project managers have been managing their projects in MS Project and would like to add the MS project into PPM as a Workplan in PPM - keeping MS Project as a resource to update their task progress for non-PPM users.
11 REPLIES
Darshan Bavisi
Occasional Visitor

Re: Adding a Workplan in PPM from an existing MS Project

Hi Victoria,

The best option in this case I would say, also to avoid any future issues, is to select PPM for both planning and actual purposes (i.e. the first sync option - HP Project Management Controlled). And then simply sync your MSP from PPM periodically. Since, your are using MS Project primarily to update the task progress for non-PPM users, so using this option won't create any syncing issues with PPM at least for the non-PPM users. Also, by using this option and then manually syncing PPM and MSP will ensure that all the data of the PPM users is accurate in MSP and the project managers will then only need to update MSP for non-PPM users. Is this what you are looking for or will there be any other issue involved in the same?
victoria loft
Collector

We have the PPM add in loaded in MS Project, but the only available options under the Project/HP PPM Center menu are Open a PPM work plan; enable all information-level tracing; clear server default; about.

We don't have the option to Send the workplan to PPM - why not?
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Usually this happens if you just open MSP and don't have an actual work plan loaded up. Is this happening when you are viewing a real work plan in MSP?
Jamie Becker
Super Collector

In my experience, if there is a workplan already created in PPM, you will not see the Send Workplan to PPM.
victoria loft
Collector

we have workplans in PPM, we have published projects in MSP - it doesn't appear that MSP can pick up any work plan details from PPM.

When I open a blank project in MSP and click "open a PPM work plan" nothing happens.
I am the owner of work plans in PPM.
Jamie Becker
Super Collector

When I click Open a PPM Workplan it prompts me for a username and password. Do you get that window?
victoria loft
Collector

no, I not - nothing happens
Jamie Becker
Super Collector

Hmm..I have read in some other threads that some people have had to reinstall the MSP plug in. Not sure if it was due to the same issue or not, but it seems to me that MSP is not making the connection to PPM.
victoria loft
Collector

I'll try that and let you know the results.
Nick Pietropolo
Acclaimed Contributor

First (Silly but I gotta say it)

Make sure Integration mode is correct for your Project.

Another quick check for the plug-in

From the PPM Project edit the work plan
In the Actions menu

Select Open Work Plan in Microsoft Project
If the plug in load is bad or the Active X is from a previous version this will tank.

Service packs also break this and the plug-in needs to be redistributed.
Peter K Houghto
Acclaimed Contributor

We have a similar problem - advised to go with resourcing and tracking in PPMC
BUT
we don't have it fully implemented to task level - so the PM's want to continue using MSP - cos it does all they want and PMO wants to use PPMC and no MSP...

Can anyone advise on real-world ways of providing non-PPMC users with access to plans and tracking via MSP yet still allowing PM's to update PPMC with accurate plans?

With a minimum of time spent updating two separate tools would be great....
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event