Did you mean: 

Adding Periods in PPM 7.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
SMCConch
Acclaimed Contributor

Adding Periods in PPM 7.5

Our version of PPM does not provide a period beyond Dec 2012 for selection during the creatiion of staffing profiles and projects.

PPM 7.5 SP6

We need to add periods to our PPM instance. When we execute "kGenPeriods.sh -startYear 2013 -endYear 2025" we get the following error messages:

ERROR: no year period found from parent of period group 30000
ERROR: existing periods or period groups in database are not valid, please fix it before running this script.

Attached is our knta_period_groups table for your review.

8 REPLIES
Adsoto
Occasional Contributor

Re: Adding Periods in PPM 7.5

Hello,

Unfortunately PPM 7.5 is not supported. Documentation about the end of support dates can be found at http://support.openview.hp.com/encore/products_mercury.jsp 

Now, the part (a) error is caused by a DB constraint that is conflicting with how hibernate perform batch update.

1. Check if the constraint is there:
SELECT *
FROM user_constraints
WHERE table_name = 'PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS'
AND constraint_name = 'PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS_U1';

2. if the constraint exists, drop the constraint
ALTER TABLE ppm_fiscal_periods_nls DROP CONSTRAINT ppm_fiscal_periods_nls_u1;

3. Drop the index associated with constraint (if this throws an error that index no longer exist it is safe to skip..)
DROP INDEX ppm_fiscal_periods_nls_u1;

4. Recreate the contraint to only validate after commit
ALTER TABLE PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS ADD (CONSTRAINT PPM_FISCAL_PERIODS_NLS_U1 UNIQUE (START_DATE, END_DATE, PERIOD_TYPE) INITIALLY DEFERRED DEFERRABLE);

5. Backup the ppm_fiscal_periods_nls

6. Retry running sh ./KGenFiscalPeriods.sh shift

Hardware and software can always be replaced, but your data may be irreplaceable! It is better to make a backup before make changes.

If this still an issue please rollback all these steps, upgrade to a supported version of PPM (PPM 8 or PPM9) and create a case with us.

Regards,

Adrian

If you find that this post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution. Please give me kudos if the information is useful.
d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

I have seen this before

The PARENT_PERIOD_ID and CHILD_PERIOD_ID in knta_period_groups should have some values .

For example, period_group_id 30000 is Q1 1998, the parent_period_id is 30240, which it should refer to the period_id 30240 in knta_periods table, which has the period full name of "1998". Similarily, period_group_id 3000 has child_period_id of 30180, this is the id in knta_periods, which has period full name of "Q1 1998".

In short, the parent_period_id of quarter refer to the period_id of the year. The child_period_id is itself.

It seems that you had improperly imported data in to the schema. Clean up the corrupted data before regenerating fiscal periods.
This can be done by exporting the data, cleaning up the records, and re-importing. These steps are documented in Portfolio Management Configuration Guide, Appendix B “Changing Fiscal years and Periods”.

Regards,

Dayana

SMCConch
Acclaimed Contributor

Dayana,

Followed your recommendations and got different error message (see below).  We are upgrading to 9.x soon but for now we are stuck with 7.5.  Really appreciate your help.  I am with Enterprise Systems at the University of Florida.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

New Error Message:

ERROR: number of period groups is 300 which should be 240

ERROR: existing periods or period groups in database are not valid, please fix it before running this script.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

The total number of values in the period_groups table is 300.  The updates I made affected 60.  So, evidently there is some other tracking method of how many period groups have been updated. 

d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Can you please upload the knta_period_groups and knta_periods again.

Regards,
Dayana
SMCConch
Acclaimed Contributor

Here they are

d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hi,

As I explained before the he PARENT_PERIOD_ID and CHILD_PERIOD_ID in knta_period_groups should have some values .

Checking the last data attached I can see that now these columns have been populated with the correct data, however we still need to remove the period_group_ids from 30240 to 30299, since these should not exist in the knta_period_groups table

Here are the steps:

1. stop the server
2. backup the data in the table knta_period_groups
3. Run the following query against the PPM schema

delete from knta_period_groups where period_group_id between 30240 and 30299;

Please let me know if this helps

Regards,
Dayana Campos
SMCConch
Acclaimed Contributor

Dayana,

Sorry for the long delay.  Higher priority problems jumped in the way.

Your solution fixed our problem.  We were able to add the periods we needed.

Your assistance was amazing and accurate...........

Thanks....

Stephen...

d4y4n4
Frequent Visitor

You are welcome! --remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem :0)
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event