Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Actuals out of synch with Projects

Highlighted
Frankie_Kings
Super Contributor.

Actuals out of synch with Projects

Hello Team, We are checking if anyone has encountered or dealt with any issues where charges to project tasks on timesheets are not updating back to their associated projects.

We have a script that we run regularly that shows us discrepancies between workplan effort and time effort.  Once the TMPM synch service runs (which we have set to every 30 minutes) we rerun the script to make sure the discrepancies have updated and no longer show.

We are seeing more and more cases where workplans are not updating after the TMPM synch service runs.

Resources have saved/submitted/approved their timesheets but some projects on their timesheet do not get the 'synch' flag set for update.

Workaround is to rework the timesheet/task and resbubmit.  Then we see the project get marked for update.

We are trying to determine what could be causing these misses.  This does not happen for all our timesheets/projects or for all our resources.  It is also never the same project or resource.

Is there a process that the resource may be doing to cause an update to miss?  Such as if they remove a task from their timesheet does that hang up the update? Is there something at the project/task level that could prevent an update?

We currently have HP reviewing our case but I was curious if any other forum members have encountered this issue and how they either resolved it or what process do you do to make sure actuals stay in synch with projects. 

Appreciate your time and any suggestions.

3 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Actuals out of synch with Projects

Hi...we're seeing the same thing occasionally. What version are you running? We're 9.14.0007

I use a similar script, but only check it every few weeks. Our support folks never really give any root cause analysis (despite me asking for it), they just give me "fix" scripts.

I'd love to know if you get any traction on this.

Frankie_Kings
Super Contributor.

Hello Erik, we are only on 9.14.004.  We went thru a support case with Support about 2 years ago which mainly produced the SQL script that we are currently running and bascially just to monitor the situation and 'force synchs' on projects when necessary. 

We are hoping that this time around to possibly get additional information for root cause or results.  

Was just curious how others have dealt with or are dealing with this issue. 

Thx! Frank

Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Would you be willing to share your script? Mine just sums the work_units and tasks and looks for discrepancies. If you have something that actually fixes them, especially if it can be automated, I'm highly interested.

We did hear a comment about reworking timesheets possibly causing issues, but I don't know. I wonder about multiple changes to the work_units before the tmpm_sync runs.

I'm also dealing with situations where we randomly find closed tasks on closed projects that get re-opened, presumibly by the tmpm_sync service.