Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

About Automating Processes in ITG

Highlighted
Mahendran M
New Member.

About Automating Processes in ITG

Hi,
I am in a thought to automate the manual process like User Addition, Modification and Disabling the user, Have anybody have done this, If so, what the areas we need to be carefull.
15 REPLIES
Tanmay Panchwag
New Member.

Re: About Automating Processes in ITG

Please be careful not to disable the "admin" user.

Also, I think you will have a better idea of the challenges as you dive into the details.

Regards
Paul Hess 281
Valued Contributor.

I would like to do the same. I will monitor this post for your success or horror stories.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

You can create a Request Type for that and have these options (like addition, disabling, modification, etc.) as buttons.

You can have the user details fields on this request type.

Be sure to give access to this request to only admin user or specifically designated and trained users, otherwise it may mess the system.
Paul Hess 281
Valued Contributor.

Can someone detail what would have to happen behind the scenes when the Modify button would be used to change the Username (login ID)? Not only to the user_table, but any other tables?
Tim.Brandish
Contributor.

There are users that have user_id values below where the knta_users_s sequence starts (usually < 30000). These are users created by the application. Do not modify these.

To create users, I insert into knta_users_int and run the Import Users report daily. But you can take a look at the database packages:
knta_user_int and knta_users_th if you want to create your own process.

To modify users I call database procedures from execution steps to:

Update Name, Phone, Email, etc - knta_users
Add/Remove licenses - knta_user_products
Add/Remove Security Groups - knta_user_security
Disabling a user: update the end_date on knta_users
Tim.Brandish
Contributor.

Paul in answer to your question about the modify button. I don't believe any other tables would be updated besides knta_users if you changed the username in the workbench.
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

You can use the following query to update/change the login id,

update knta_users set logon_identifier = where logon_identifier =

You need to change at only this place and nowhere else in the system. Once you change here all is set.
MMuthu4322
Frequent Contributor.

Hi,
I started this forum for automating the basic manual works like User Addition, Modification and Disabling, I have got good response for this, Thanks a lot!

I have developed the Request Header, Request type, and developed the PL/SQL Functions, I am attaching all the same as an attachment, Kindly review this.

I have developed all this in ITG 6.0, We(our company) is in the progress of upgrading to 7.3 soon.

Your Kind help is requested
MMuthu4322
Frequent Contributor.

Kindly let know if the Attachment does not work, to MMuthu@iNautix.co.in
MMuthu4322
Frequent Contributor.

Darshan,
Whether using

update knta_users set logon_identifier = where logon_identifier =

this query alone is sufficient, I don't think so, I will get back on this with proof!

Befor that what is the Environment for this to work?
6.0 or 7.1?

If you have some proof, Kindly let me know!

Regards
Darshan Bavisi
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes.. that's right.. I really missed to mention the username column. So you will need to update both the 'username' and the 'logon_identifier' columns. Let me know if there's anything else you think.. which I probably missed again.. that would be learning for me also. Thanks.
MMuthu4322
Frequent Contributor.

What about username field in KTMG_RESOURCE_SETTINGS

Still there are many other fields, which you can try by serarching "Username" in the technical reference manual!

I dont know the exaclt implications on changing this!
MMuthu4322
Frequent Contributor.

No body have gone through my Attachments, I suppose, Kindly go through it and advice!
Scott Hawley
Regular Contributor.

If you use LDAP, ITG can synch with LDAP. I have reports setup that run each night and synch with LDAP. To handling licensing and ITG groups, I have active directory security groups for each license group and ITG security group.

The flow works like this:
1. An employee sends our help desk a request to be added to the appropriate security group.
2. I approve the request.
3. Help desk adds them to the security group.
4. That night ITG synchs with the AD security groups using reports.

If you want to know more about this post your questions.
Paul Hess 281
Valued Contributor.

Scott, the common key between my ITG (5.5) and my LDAP is the ITG username. I'm trying to address what to do when a username changes on the LDAP side, because in that case ITG can't automatically match up the new username (from LDAP) with the old username (in ITG). Or can it? How do you handle that scenario? Do you manually update/modify the ITG username before updating from LDAP so that the usernames match? What's a best practice here?
Thanks.