Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

Ability to lock Package Lines from modification

Highlighted
Kostadin
New Member.

Ability to lock Package Lines from modification

Hello all,

As far as I am aware, there is no possibility in PPM to make Package Lines not editable anymore once the object is deployed in the environment. The idea is that if tests are performed afterwards, the developer can still change the object fields which should not be allowed.

Any suggestions on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Kostadin

5 REPLIES
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Ability to lock Package Lines from modification

If I understand what you are asking for, you are looking to make the fields in the package line non-editable.  I've implemented this using OOTB functionality within PPM.  You can make fields read-only based on Rules.  To use this functionality, I've created a Package Line User Data field to hold a flag.  This can be any kind of flag you want, e.g. Y/N, Open/Migrated, etc.  The exact values you use don't matter as long as you use them consistently.  In your migration workflow, put in an execution step that will set the value of this flag indicate that you want it read-only.  In your object types, setup the fields that you want have read-only after migrations to be dependant on Rules and use the value of this flag field in that Rule.  If you have a testing phase where the package line can be sent back to the developers and they may need to change a value of one of these fields, then you can setup another execution step to set the flag back to the non-read-only value.

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

We have "similar" configuration as Jason Nicholas mentioned above as well. OOB Dependency Rule functionality available in object type Fields can control what you want. That can be configured from "Dependencies" tab.  Only difference probably is that we use one of the object type feilds as flag. That flag value gets updated by our workflow according to various logics on the Request side. We use the same looping worklfow to migrate to multiple instances. So, our package lines only remain editable for DEV or Test Migrations.  

The only thing I have't figured out yet is how to Prevent Developers from sometimes adding a new Package line at wrong time.    ... 
Any suggestion on that Jason ?

Thanks.

-Raj

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

I used the Package Line User Data instead of a field on the OT itself primarily because it was a garaunteed way to make sure that every package line had that flag available without having to add a field to every single OT (I was looking at ~25-30 OTs to update and already had to update the Dependency Rules)

For the addition of lines, that's an interesting conundrum.  You could implement a Package User Data flag and once all of the initial or approved lines have gone through a gate, you mark that flag.  Then you have an execution step as the first step of the workflow that checks that flag and if it's set so that no new lines should be coming in, you route right to a Close step.  Care would have to be taken if you would ever have a scenario where it would be permissible to add new lines to set that flag back to allow the new lines.

Raj Ghimire
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes I kind of suggested something similar for preventing line addition here as well but that wasn't quite popular with our folks here :-(  as they didn't want that extra line to get associated with package at all :-( .     They are looking for something that could totally prevent users from adding that extra line at certain conditions, which I don't think we can.  ..Can we ?

Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

Not that I'm aware of.