cancel

8.0 Upgrade - estimated time, and calculated columns

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Jan Gardner
Frequent Contributor.

8.0 Upgrade - estimated time, and calculated columns

We're currently on 7.5 SP4 wanting to upgrade to 8.0 (and now SP1 as well). Does anyone know how much time to allocate to this? Any gotchas?
Also, the 'What's New?' Guide references a new portlet feature called calculated columns, but I cannot find any reference to it in any of the 8.0 manuals. Anyone worked with this?

Many thanks for any help,
-Jan
6 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: 8.0 Upgrade - estimated time, and calculated columns

Hi Jan,

Calculated Columns are discussed in the 'Creating Portlets and Modules' guide, under the portlet definitions section. You basically write some javascript to calculate the value so depending on the column type you can have it return anything from numbers/colors/icons/whatever.

As to the time to allocate to the upgrade, there are too many variables to give a good answer. I will say that on a smaller PPM installation, the entire upgrade script will run (barring any errors) in under an hour. But if your system has been live for some time, expect to have some data integrity issues to clean up like orphaned time sheet lines, out-of-sync task cost/effort, etc.
Jan Gardner
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks, Erik. So, the upgrade to 8.0 will go much the same as 7.1-7.5. That gives me a good indicator, plus time for the new SP1.
As for the calculated columns, it sounds like nothing has changed much then. The info I got made it sound like it was easy to use and user configurable, but then, the literature was probably more marketing-driven.
Thanks everso much,

-Jan
Erik Cole
Acclaimed Contributor.

Don't forget the infrastructure component...DB upgrade to 10.2.0.4 with java enabled, and the jdk on the app server...those will probably take longer than the script itself.
Alexandru Saven
Super Contributor.

One other comment: if you created new domains for scoring criteria, they will cause the upgrade to fail. it looks like HP has hard-coded the default ones in the upgrade scripts.

let me know if this is the case so i can provide the workarounds.

cheers
alex
Jan Gardner
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks, Alex. Luckily, we don't have any new domains for scoring criteria to worry about, but I really appreciate the heads-up!

-Jan
Kari Vannieuwen
Valued Contributor.

Hello Alex,

We do have customized Scoring criteria and will be upgrading our test environment this week. Could you please provide me with the work around? It's very much appreciated.