Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.0 Details

Highlighted
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

8.0 Details

Does anyone have high level details of the functionality that is scheduled to come out on 8.0?
9 REPLIES
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Re: 8.0 Details

Hi Brandon,

Here are a few things I know from the beta:

Sidebar menu is gone, replaced with dropdown menu
Sticky menu/request search box added to dashboard
You can config a page to be default for all users
Deleting of staffing profiles
Radar, XY, and pivot chart portlets
New Financial Summary which carries across proposal-project-asset lifecycle
Snapshots/baselines for budget/financial summary
Configurable fiscal periods
Updated MAC bundle
Connectivity to Documentum Enterprise Edition

Not sure if the new reporting will be in 8.0, but Business Objects reporting is supposed to be on the horizon as well.
Brandon Kniffen
Super Collector

Hi Erik -

Thanks for the quick response. Can you added a little more color to a few of thses??

Radar, XY, and pivot chart portlets (how flexible are these new portlets? Are they across all modules and data?)

New Financial Summary which carries across proposal-project-asset lifecycle (has the entire finance piece been enhanced?)

Do you think they are attempting to make PPMC reporting and dashboards stronger or eventually have everything report out of BO?

Thanks -
Alexandru Saven
Regular Collector

regarding reporting, I understood that the roadmap for this year includes the development by HP of a reporting module to be sold separately from PPM licenses.

everybody is expecting it, because reporting in PPM has not been improved since v5.5!

Erik, do you have an ETA on 8.0?

Cheers
Alex
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Brandon,

I haven't yet seen the new portlets so I can't really comment on them. In fact, the beta instance I'm working with only has the pivot chart but it is open for custom development with your own data sources.

Yes, the finance part of PPM is getting a lot of attention, so expect to see some big changes/enhancements there. They're adding the concept of an "approved spend" (a project's approved budget) as distinct from budget forecasts & actuals and the ability to compare them as well as create snapshots of points in time. You can also finally assign a budget category to non-labor costs in the workplan so that they roll up correctly to the budget. :)

As for reporting, all I really know is that operational reporting for PPM is planned to be based on a provided OEM version of Business Objects Enterprise XI 3.0 or 3.1 with the OOB reports provided through Webi. Reporting has always been a weak area for PPM so I think they are trying to provide enhanced options without reinventing the wheel.

Alex, sorry - I have no ETA for the release.
Mahen M
Honored Contributor

Hi Erik,
Could you kindly advice me as how can we get the Beta Version installed in our Machines?
Any Links? Please advice.

Regards,
Mahendran

Regards,
Mahendran M
Erik Cole
Honored Contributor

Mahendran,

Sorry...we're part of a pilot group beta testing the project mgt & finance parts. I don't have it installed locally, it's on an HP server.
David Baiano
Occasional Advisor

I am considering an upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5 but if 8 will be out within a few months I can wait. Does anyone know the scheduled relase date for 8?
Jaylen Smith
Regular Collector

Last I heard was some time in 2Q09. However, keep in mind that the HP rep gave a lot of conditions, saying they were forward looking statements and cited various accounting rules. . .

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if HP announced Version 8 during their Software Universe in Las Vegas in June 2009.

In June 2008 they released PPM 7.5 during software universe. So it makes sense to me they'll announce something this year durign the conference - but it's just my guess and I could be wrong.
Jim Esler
Honored Contributor

Support for 6.0 ends this fall. We are working on an upgrade to 7.5 this summer for that reason. Given the volume of changes involved, we started testing the upgrade process in January and have identified a number of changes needed to make the process work for everything we have implemented so far. We still have several cases open to address issues.

Keep in mind that the sales reps originally told us 7.5 would be released in June 2007. Maybe the transition from Mercury to HP slowed things down, but don't count on 8.0 until you see the official release. Then, feel free to be the first guinea pig.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event