Project and Portfolio Management Practitioners Forum
cancel

7.1 -> 9.1 upgrade: What are major impact on current configuration ?

Highlighted
ppm9
Respected Contributor.

7.1 -> 9.1 upgrade: What are major impact on current configuration ?

We are going to upgrade PPM from 7.1 to 9.1 and would like to understand major impact on our current configuration.

What we need to watch out? What architectural changes from 7.1 through 9.1 will impact our existing configuration?

Please advise.

Thank you.

18 REPLIES
roxor
Honored Contributor.

Re: 7.1 -> 9.1 upgrade: What are major impact on current configuration ?

Hello,

I have done upgrade from 7.5 to 8.03 and as I know, this is the most tricky part of 7.1 -> 9.1 upgrade.

In version 8 there are structural changes in Financial Management - its database tables are changed and also its functionality in frontend.

If you have any custom portlets and reports, you have to check them. In better option, they will give you an error because of database table changes. Worse option is, that portlets seems working but shows bad (old) data- without errors => Some tables in our upgrade were only deprecated (not removed) so they still exists in database with old data and new data are stored in another tables.

So you have to check every custom object in PPM with 8.0 Upgrade guide and search for these tables. It is well documented there.

I have no experience with upgrade to 9.1 but I heard that it is not that painful as upgrade to 8.0.

Kind regrads,
r.

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

Thanks roxor!

While dealing with one of the issue on 7.1, HP asked us to upgrade to 7.5 as it had the fix to the problem. They recommended that we should apply the latest service pack of 7.1 which was SP11 before upgrading to 7.5.

Is this the best practise that we should follow while upgrading to high version, i.e apply the latest service pack to current version and then upgrade to next higher version?

Thank you

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

Normally, it is not necessary to install the latest service pack for a major release before upgrading to the next major release. For our most recent upgrade, we went from 7.5 SP7 -> 8.0 -> 9.1 -> 9.12. If HP is recommending installing 7.1 SP11 before upgrading to 7.5, do it.

There have been notes from HP warning that if you are running the latest 8.0 SP and you upgrade to 9.1, you should not start PPM before installing SP2 or SP3 because the last one or two 8.0 service packs incorporated database changes that are not supported in the base 9.1 release. I believe those notes are posted in this forum so you can get accurate details from those posts.

You will need to upgrade Oracle at an appropriate point, too. Check out the documentation for each level of PPM to determine when to make that change, too. 9.1 supports only Oracle 11g, I think. That support was added to 7.5 and 8.0 in one of the later service packs.

mcwang
Trusted Contributor.

You need to also remember to install the Oracle JVM client on the database server when going from 7.5 to 8.0. There are new changes in the database that require JVM.  

raags2u
Contributor.

Hi,

We have done upgrade from 7.5 to 9.1 and it was smooth process for us. since we were not using Budgests.

The major change in on Budgets and related tables. Make sure all the custom object build for Budgets needs to be re-written.

Also the KNTA periods needs to be taken care.

make sure you upgrade your instances to 9.12, since there were some bugs which were taken care in 9.12.

-rj

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

Thanks mcwang and raags2u for your response!

raags2U - Could you please elaborate on what needs to be taken care of with KNTA periods

roxor
Honored Contributor.

knta_periods table is deleted in 8.00 so you have to change all custom object using this tabe. You can find list of removed tables in document What's New.

Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

hi,

first you need to apply latest sp before upgrading ppm 7.5 there is known error for tmpmsync service in support. im doing 7.1 to 9.1 upgrade atm, this is a little more procudure to complete than 7.5 to 9.

- first you need to update latest sp11 then java update 1.5, then upgrade to 7.5.

- then upgrade to 7.5 sp7 and migrate your oracle to 11g instance and also java update 1.6

- then 8 and 9

upgrades are not paintfull if you follow guides and support matrixes; hardest part to fix your configuration based on changes and new features. 

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Kerim!

I have been browsing the upgrade guides to understand the upgrade path.

From response, I believe upgrade path (7.1 -> SP 11 -> 7.5 -> SP 7 -> 8.0 -> 9.13) would be smooth.

But, I was wondering do we have to depoy any service packs on 8.0 before upgrading to 9.13 or is it required?

Does 9.13 takes care of all bugs?

Thank you.

Kerim KILIC
Honored Contributor.

hi,

for safe i always update to latest sp before upgrade; it does not take much time to do it. i faced some kind of issues in 9.13, but sp4 is coming soon at the end of this month according to support.

regards
Jason Nichols K
Acclaimed Contributor.

I've been given some information that you can't upgrade to 9.13 from 8.04, so if you are coming from a 7.x, do not apply 8.04, but just go straight to 9.1.  I've done a couple of upgrades before 8.0 SP4 was available and they didn't have any issues.  If you are already at 8.04, the 9.1 SP4 is supposed to correct the incompatabilities.  I don't have an exact date on when SP4 should be out, but I have seen a post where someone said it would be the end of March.

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

I opened a case with HP support and following is the upgrade path they recommend:

7.1 SP5 -> SP11 -> 7.5 -> SP7 -> 8.0 ->SP3 -> 9.1 -> SP3 = 9.13

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

I have couple of questions related to upgrade.

Each version of PPM may add or delete some of server.conf parameters. How is this change handled during the upgrade? OR does the upgrade script takes care of this change?

For example, in 8.0 some server.conf were deleted as in 8.0 we have the admin console.

Do we have to reconfigure the paramaters again after the upgarde?

Another question - how is SSH software upgrade done? Is this something that sys admin can do?

Thank you.

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

Does upgrade have any impact on PPM-LDAP integration ?

Jim Esler
Acclaimed Contributor.

The LdapAttribute.conf will be overwritten. You should capture a copy before upgrade and restore it afterward. Other than that, I do not recall any changes being required.

ppm9
Respected Contributor.

Thanks Jim!

As financial management architecture has changed, what happens  to freestanding closed & cancelled budgets and benefits once the PPM instance is upgraded to 8.00?

AlexSavencu
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

I believe this is pretty well explained in the upgrade guide.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
ppm9
Respected Contributor.

I understand that freestanding active/open budgets and benefits are not accessible once you upgrade from 7.5 to 8.00. And script helps you to get the list which can be mapped to existing proposal/project/asset and import back to PPM.

My concern is about the CLOSED and CANCELLED Budgets and Benefits. This is history data and needs to be accessible.

• How upgrade handles these closed and cancelled entities?
  • Does closed/cancelled budgets need to be linked to some lifecycle entity?
  • Is there a way we can make them available in 8.0 and not have to link them to any entity?