I'm having an issue with some devices in the network showing up with the wrong port speeds in NNM. The devices are set to 1Gig interfaces, but show up as only 10Mbps in NNMi, which I believe is causing false High Utilization alarms when testing across the links.
I've put the nodes into out of service mode, and then deleted them from NNMi and then re-added them, but they still show up with only 10Mbps when they should show 1Gig.
Yes the ports are always up at 1Gbps. It shows a lot of ports like this, I don't think I have that many failing ports on that many different devices. For some reason NNMi isn't polling their info correctly. Could these be a problem if the ports are auto-negotiating instead of being hard coded??
Since those are 1Gbps ports, you should ONLY be using auto-negotiate anyway. Hard-coding speed/duplex should (almost) never be done with 1Gbps.
So I highly doubt that it's a problem with you setting the ports to auto/auto.
Out of interest, have you tried doing an snmpwalk of the device, and see if you're getting the right values reported back via SNMP?
You want to be able to eliminate potential sources of error - if SNMP reports the interface is 1Gbps, then it's an NNMi problem, and you'll probably need to log a support case. If the switch itself is reporting via SNMP that the interface is 10Mbps, well, that's a different issue.
Okay, so I used one of my devices and did what you said. I found that the ports that were showing up 10Mbps, indeed show 10Mbps (10000000) in the snmpwalk. These interfaces are set for 1Gig in the devices. The port numbers in the snmpwalk actually lined up with which ports NNM was saying is 10Megs.
The weird thing is, all the ports showed up as 1Gig in the snmpwalk, except the very two ports that are in the actual topology map that show up at 10Mbps. However, all port, including those two, are set for 1 Gig.
So does this mean that NNMi is reading something wrong, or my devices are sending the wrong information through SNMP?
I actually find that hard to believe... problem is, it's happening on 4 devices, all on the same ports, which are the only ports that are in the Topology Map in NNMi. I find it difficult to believe that Gig1/13 and Gig1/25 on all 4 devices are sending 10Mbps as their port speed when they are all set to 1Gig, and all their other interfaces are sending the information as 1Gig, and the devices they plug into at the other end of these ports all show the interfaces at 1Gig. Which obviously if a 1Gig interface was connected to a 10Mbps, the port wouldn't come up.
I was also interested in your comment about the interfaces being "set to 1Gig" - do you mean they were up/up, and operating at 1Gig (as shown by show inter G1/1/1), or that they were hard-coded to 1Gig, but may or may not be up and operating?
NNMi has to believe the information that it gets via SNMP, and if the device reports the interface is 10Mbit, NNMi can't assume its anything else.
Some NMSes let you over-ride the reported speed, so that % calculations don't get screwy, but I don't think you can do that with NNMi.
They are Auto up at 1Gig... problem is, I just noticed that the ports have bandwidth 10000 set on them for manipulating how EIGRP chooses it's path on those links, which must be messing with the SNMP. It makes it look like the port is 10Mbps, but really, it's 1Gig. Which I believe was giving me false High Utilization alarms.
I'm retarded... I should have realized that sooner.
Aha! That makes sense. It's not at all uncommon to tweak the bandwidth statement like that - but then of course, that's what SNMP will report.
Often the mistake people make is not setting the "bandwidth" statement on Tunnel interfaces, and you get all kinds of amusing results like "Interface is 576% utilised", since Tunnel interfaces default to a very low bandwidth.