I have been experiencing an issue with my Oracle for Openview database. I thought I had it resolved (thanks to great information here), but it appears that I am still experiencing issues. My original problem was that I needed to enable archive log mode, which I did. Subsequently, I started getting messages in my root mailbox indicating that ovbackup.ovpl failed because the archive log directory could not be found. I updated the path in my initopenview.ora files, as well as forced the change through sqlplus. The directory that I have the logs set to go to is indeed there, but is on a different disk - is this a problem? Do I need any special configuration? Here is the output of 'archive log list': Database log mode Archive Mode Automatic archival Enabled Archive destination /u02/oradata/openview/arch Oldest online log sequence 13 Next log sequence to archive 15 Current log sequence 15
and from 'select * from v$log;': 1 1 13 104857600 1 YES INACTIVE 1290243 02-SEP-07
2 1 14 104857600 1 YES INACTIVE 1788331 19-SEP-07
3 1 15 104857600 1 NO CURRENT 1788341 19-SEP-07
Hopefully someone here will be able to shed some light on this issue. Thanks in advance for any and all help! -Kramer
Thank you for getting back to me. Here are the results you requested:
1.) I had already changed this directory to make sure that it was read/writeable to everyone.
2.) Here is the output of SQL> show parameter log_archive_dest_1
NAME TYPE VALUE -------------- --------- ---------- log_archive_dest_1 string log_archive_dest_10 string
The value output is blank. I am not using the _1, _2, etc. parameters because I only have one location for archive logs, so I simply am using the log_archive_dest parameter, which gives me the correct output directory. Is this the correct way to have this setup, or do I need to use 'log_archive_dest_1'?
Here is the information as it appears in my initopenview.ora file:
Hi, please take the following steps. A-) if you do not have spfile.ora, in other words you have only initora.ora edit your init.ora file and remove the line log_archive_dest=, and add the line (replace the dir. name to yours) log_archive_dest_1='location=/home/db/log01/oradata/cbprd01/arch MANDATORY REOPEN=10'
sqlplus / as sysdba shutdown immediate; exit;
sqlplus / as sysdba startup;
B-) if you have spfile.ora sqlplus / as sysdba create pfile from spfile; shutdown immediate; exit
edit your init.ora file like above.
sqlplus "/ as sysdba" create spfile from pfile startup; show parameter dest_1
Ok, I have followed the steps you gave me. I updated my init.ora file, and then discovered that I did have an spfile.ora, so I followed the steps to update that, and now the output from 'show parameter dest_1' reads: