cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vPV Business Grouping 101—9 common questions

vPV Business Grouping 101—9 common questions

Ops_Guest

Guest post by Ajeet Tiwari, Software Designer, HP SW R&D

In this blog I would like to answer some queries that are often asked by server virtualization administrators surrounding the business grouping capability of HP Virtualization Performance Viewer (vPV). Maybe some of these common questions will resonate with you and will contain the answers to your questions about this new capability in HP vPV.

Administrator Question #1: I know HP Virtualization Performance Viewer’s (vPV) treemap interface provides a great way to group virtual infrastructure elements. It helps me to quickly identify hotspots and observe patterns. Similarly, I would like to group my infrastructure elements based on my business requirements. For example, I have my virtual infrastructure catering to the needs of my organization across various business units. Can I view them based on business units?

Answer: HP vPV has the Business Grouping feature that caters to this use case. It helps to customize the operational view of virtual infrastructure. With this feature you can:

• Create your own business groups
  • View the aggregated performance or infrastructure utilization data for each of the groups
  • Perform forecast at the group level and much more

In the scenario above, you can create groups for your business units like IT, Procurement, Finance, etc. The relationship between the group and the infrastructure elements can be specified via pattern or via csv. HP vPV will aggregate data for each of the group based on the data of its elements. For example, the CPU utilization of the group will be weighted average of the CPU utilization of all the virtual machines belonging to that group.

Fig 1 – Business grouping home

Question #2: So, it is possible to group my virtual machines based on the business units. What about hosts and datastores?

Answer: HP vPV currently provides the business group creation capability on hosts, virtual machines and datastores.

Question #3: What is the difference between a business grouping and a business group?

Answer: A business group is a logical grouping of the infrastructure elements. A grouping is a group of these business groups. For example, in figure 1, Departments is a business grouping containing elements of type virtual machine. As seen in figure 2, the Departments business grouping has three business groups – IT, Finance and Procurement, which groups 60 virtual machines.

Question #4: OK. Now that I have created my business groups, how will the data for them be collected?

Answer: Business groups are only logical groups. You still need to add the original data source (VMware vCenter, KVM, Hyper-V, etc.) to HP vPV for data collection. The business groups will operate on the data collected from these sources.

Question #5: That's sounds logical. What are all the features HP vPV provides for the business groups?

Answer: You can view the business groups and their entities in the treemap. The workbench provides default graphs for CPU and memory usage for the business groups. In addition to these, you can also view the forecast for the business groups based on their aggregated data.

Fig 2 – Business grouping tree map

Question #6: Can the entities belong to different domains? For example, can I have hosts from vCenter and Hyper-V together in my business groups?

Answer: The business grouping is for an infrastructure entity type. So, you can have entities from various domains in a single business grouping but different entities cannot be in a single grouping.

Question #7: I get it. I have one more requirement. I have some additional metrics on the business groups, like the number of user logins. Since I have created business groups, can I import them into HP vPV and co-relate with the infrastructure metrics to observe the pattern between them?

Answer: That's very possible. You can feed your business metrics for the groups using a csv file. The location and format is explained when you create the business groups. You can download the sample csv and then modify it per your requirements. This csv needs to be placed on the vPV system and needs to be updated periodically with the new data. HP vPV will upload this csv into its database. The location of the csv is shown when you upload the csv during business grouping creation. The reading of the data from csv is done at fixed interval and even if there is no change in the csv data, the older data will be uploaded.

Question #8: That's really awesome. Can I use all the capabilities of HP vPV, like treemap, workbench, forecast etc. on my business metrics as well?

Answer: Oh yes. The business metrics that you upload can surely be used for the size and color of the treemap. You can also perform the forecast for the business metrics. Currently this capability is limited to these two business metrics. You can view them in the same page where you see the forecast for your infrastructure metrics and co-relate them. Figure 3 shows the forecast values for CPUTotalUtil, which is the infrastructure metric and NumUserLogon, which is the business metric.

Fig 3 – Forecast for Infrastructure and Business metrics

Question #9: That really blows my mind. How can I get started? How can I access this feature?

Answer: You can download a vPV trial here. The business grouping list and creation wizard can be accessed from the admin drop-down of HP vPV. The business grouping creation and deployment wizard, as seen in figure 4, is very intuitive and user-friendly. In addition to this, you can always visit the product homepage here for additional resources.

Fig 4 – Business grouping creation wizard

• infrastructure management
About the Author

Ops_Guest

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event