IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Take the noise out of your data center and find the kernel of truth

Take the noise out of your data center and find the kernel of truth

MichaelProcopio

Guest post by Mike Zuber, VP of Go-to Market Sales, HP Software

big data 100001.jpgI realize the title of this post may appear over the top but let me explain what I mean by this statement and then you can see if you think I am on the right track.  That being said, I owe you two things out of the gate to begin this blog post so you have the background you need. 

The first thing I owe you is a definition or clarity on what I mean by “White Noise” in the data center.  White Noise is caused by the sheer volume of data you are collecting on your key applications and infrastructure within your data system. If you aren’t analyzing the data coming in, then it simply becomes a loud amount of—you guessed it—white noise!

When it comes to your data center you likely started with systems management, then added IT event management and now you have added log management.  All were added with the simple goal of understanding what went wrong, when it happened, and where it occurred so you could fix an application or performance issue in production. 

As these various data sets have increased, they have highlighted some issues which has led to some improvements. The increase in data sets has also increased the White Noise. Unfortunately, you may fall into the camp where you have too much data to do anything except hunt and peck for possible problems within the mountains of data. In addition to the mountains of data, there are likely air pockets between management systems that fail to relate information or integrate on causality. With the three separate systems mentioned above, you don’t have a way to empower the applications to learn your environment so you have a war-room full of people trying to troubleshoot problems manually. 

If you have a systems management, IT event management and a log management solution you need an integration layer or application built on a Big Data platform that can consume all the data, interpret it for causality, and most importantly, learn your environment. A big data application integrating these data sets helps prevent time-consuming production problems that occur when your existing data sets are too large and not related in any meaningful way.

HP is focused on solving large and complex problems by adopting the power of Big Data in the new releases of applications. We are investing time and money to tackle these hard problems and produce industry-leading and compelling Big Data Applications.

There are spaces that don’t get monitored because you simply can’t cover everything. The end result – you get a lot of data from some areas and not enough from others. The problem: how do you sift through noise to get to what matters and cover yourself in the areas where you did not put any additional care for instrumentation. This is where analytics comes to the rescue.

Specifically to highlight and remove the White Noise from your data center, HP has released Operations Analytics to integrate and leverage data from your system, event and log management solutions regardless of provider. This integration and relationship combined with Big Data will give you insights you haven’t had previously—while learning more and more about your environment. Using machine learning, Operations Analytics learns what are normal and unusual behaviors in IT operations to give you root cause in seconds or predict future issues to give you actionable insights.

You can see recorded demonstrations and additional information here …. And remember you don’t have to live with White Noise in your data center.  Get the benefits of having too much data with HP Operations Analytics.

Related items:

-
Michael Procopio
LinkedIn.com/in/Michael Procopio
  • operational intelligence
0 Kudos
About the Author

MichaelProcopio

HPE Software Product Marketing. Over 20 years in network and systems management.

Comments
N/A

How does Operations Analytics compare. With Splunk?

Acclaimed Contributor

Hello James,

Great question and we should talk about it but let me take a shot via this comment box as I am sure others will have the same question.  Splunk or any Log Management tool for that matter is just the latest and greatest tool to hit operations and like Performance management and Systems management before log management it becomes another repository for a specific item (in this case logs).

Ops A is NOT about logs and for that matter it is not about Performance or Systems management either but instead is about being the layer to collect and relate ALL operations data, events, logs, etc into a Big Data Lake.  This then allows the power of Big Data Intellegience to take over and produce results any one repository can't.

So in short Ops A and Splunk are not the same thing as one produces an individual repository that take manual interaction and the other consumes all relevent information and then supplies automatic analytics producing a platform that fills in the "White Noise" or "White Space" around all othe the operations tools opperating in individual silos. Pretty cool stuff but I am bias obviously.  I hope that helps.

N/A

Salut,

J'ai un server hp proliant, en faisant un test pour configurer son systeme d'exploitation ,j'ai branché le fil du power supplies qui libre dans le port libre de la carte mere, soudain le sever ne salume pas et donne une lumiere jaune .

Dans ce cas je vous demande que dois faire, pour que le server soit en marche.

Merci, pour votre comprehension.

Arielle

Collector

Arielle,

This is  the hp software BSM team. The Proliant team can be found here.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/supportforums.html

N/A

HP is focused on solving large and complex problems by adopting the power of Big Data in the new releases of applications. They are investing time and money to tackle these hard problems and produce industry-leading and compelling Big Data Applications.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event