IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Step by Step: OMi Management Pack for Docker

Step by Step: OMi Management Pack for Docker

Harald

The Docker system is an application which helps you deploy applications in software containers. Using this technology and a layer of abstraction, it becomes easy to deploy any kind of container and let them run isolated.

But this blog is not targeted on the usage of Docker. Instead, I want to show you a step-by-step guide on how to setup Docker monitoring using the OMi Management Pack for Docker and how to get monitoring results into Operations Manager i.

Prerequisites

Ensure you have a running OMi 10.1x, downloaded the OMi Management Pack for Docker and the Monitoring Framework.

The packages can be downloaded from the HPE Live Network.

• The Monitoring Framework is part of the Development Kit and can be downloaded from the HPE Live Network: https://hpln.hpe.com
    01a_docker.jpg
  • Download the OMi MP for Docker from the HPE Live Network
    Search for Docker:
    01_docker.jpg

Installation

• Install the Monitoring Framework via the Content Manager:
    OMi -> Admin -> Setup and Maintenance -> Content Packs:
    01bb_import_CP.jpg
    01bb_framework.jpg
  • In addition verify the Monitoring Framework was uploaded correctly:
    01b_docker.jpg
  • Install the OMi RTSM Model Pack:
    OMi -> Admin -> RTSM -> Package Manager and click on Deploy packages
    02_docker.jpg
  • Install the OMi Docker MP via the Content Manager:
    OMi -> Admin -> Setup and Maintenance -> Content Packs:
    03_docker.jpg

Verification

In order to verify if the installation went smooth please check the following:

• OMi/RTSM Model
    OMi -> Admin -> RTSM -> Modelling -> Modeling Studio. Navigate to folder Operations Management > Infrastructure: Docker_Topology
    01_docker_rtsm.jpg
  • OMi Management Pack Definitions
    OMi -> Admin -> Monitoring -> Management Templates and Aspects
    Expand Folder System Infrastructure. You should see a Docker folder with all items for monitoring.
    01c_mt_folder.jpg
    01d_aspects.jpg

Discovery

To begin monitoring your Docker environment start by using the discovery aspect. Either use OMi Automatic Assignment or Manual Assignment in case the aspect should be deployed to individual nodes. I am using Manual Assignment because I have just a few nodes with Docker. Select the Docker Discovery Aspect and deploy it to the specific nodes.

The results from the discovery can be verified in the Docker Topology View:

02_docker_topology.jpg

Deploy Docker Monitoring

The next step is to deploy the monitoring for Docker. As you can see on my system I have 2 servers which have Docker installed. To these servers I have deployed all the Docker Aspects:

03_docker_assign.jpg

Hint: You can verify the Docker metrics using the Agent store. Once the Docker monitoring and metric collection is deployed you should see a DOCKER metric store created on the Operations Agent.

Performance Dashboard

The Operations Manager i Performance Perspective can be used to display the metrics logged via the Docker metric collector. The OMi Management Pack for Docker brings a "Docker Host" dashboard. This shows the most important metrics:

05_docker_status_pd.jpg

Tuning Docker Monitoring

Using the OMi Assignments you are able to tune the monitoring. E.g. you can tune the severity of events or the frequency of the discovery interval on the agent:

docker_tuning.jpg

Configuring Metric Streaming Configuration Policy

The OMi MP for Docker also ships a metric streaming policy. This can be used in case you want to define a higher frequency of metric collection and use the new Operations Manager i Performance Engine to collect data.

To enable metric collection into the Performance Engine do this:

• Run the Docker Metric Streaming Registration Tool on the Docker machine:
    07_streaming_tool.jpg
  • Enable metric streaming to the performance engine. For this a policy is already shipped with the Docker Management Pack which you can use.
    Administration -> Monitoring -> Policy Templates -> Configuration -> Metric Streaming Configuration
    08a_metric_policy.jpg
    08b_metric_policy_content.jpg

Hint: More details regarding the OMi Performance Engine and Metric streaming configuration can be found in the Docker MP User Guide.

Reporting

Reporting is another important topic which is covered via this Management Pack. It is done via the Operations Bridge Reporter. The Docker Content Pack for Operations Bridge Reporter (OBR v10) provides a content pack that enables reports for the Docker environment.  https://hpln.hpe.com/contentoffering/hpe-obr-docker-content

The installation basically contains:

• Views for the OMi (needs to be installed on the OMi/RTSM)
  • ETL for the OBR (needs to be installed on the OBR)

Hint: The views are part of the HPE Content Pack for Docker (included in the zip file). Docker\ETL_Docker.ap\source\cmdb_views -> OBR_Docker.zip

I recommend to start with the OMi view installation:

• Navigate to OMi -> Administration -> RTSM Administration -> Administration -> Package Manager
  • Click the Deploy packages to Server button
  • Use the OBR_Docker.zip file
    10_cp_views.jpg
  • Click on Deploy
  • You should have two views for OBR reporting:
    11_cp_views_verify.jpg

Install the Content Pack on OBR:

• Unzip the content pack into /opt/HP/BSM/PMDB/packages
    You should have a Docker directory containing the .ap directories
  • Open the OBR Administration console
  • Navigate to Administration -> Deployment Manager
  • Select the Docker Content pack and select Install/Upgrade.
    12_obr_deployment.jpg

Hint: Once installed you would find the Reports in the BI LaunchPad. All Folders -> Operations Bridge Reporter -> Infrastructure Managements -> Enterprise Application Management -> Cloud Content -> Docker

Conclusion

Managing Docker using the Operations Manager i Management Pack for Docker can be achieved in minutes. Using this step-by-step guide I hope you are enabled and motivated to try it out for yourself.

Related Blogs

If you want to know more about Docker monitoring using HPE Software, read these Blogs by my colleagues:
OpsBridge monitors Docker on the fly
Dock Your Docker with Operations Manager

In addition, we have also a blog about managing Docker using Sitescope

Try it out now: Download the OMi MP for Docker from the HPE Live Network:

What do you think about OMi Management Pack for Docker? Please share your thoughts and comments!

Don’t miss out! Click here to get the monthly HPE Software Blog newsletter.

• operations bridge
About the Author

Harald

Comments
N/A

Thoroughly explained, Keep up with this type of educational topics.

N/A

It would be handy if we were using docker right now.

N/A

Fab post Alex - congratulations on a well thought out post.