IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Reclaim storage resources from mapped volumes with no I/O

Reclaim storage resources from mapped volumes with no I/O

MichaelProcopio

Guest post by Vikram Krishnamurthy, Functional Architect, Storage Resource Management

In a previous blog post, we discussed how you can have reclaimed storage resource space from storage systems and hosts. You can read the blog post here Reclaim and redeploy unused storage to learn how the reclaimed space was allocated to other hosts. This blog post was written about a month back and now it’s time to check to see if these hosts are actually using the newly allocated storage space or not.

HP Storage Operations Manager (SOM) can be configured to collect storage system performance data. SOM collects performance data periodically and stores them in columnar database for future analysis to better understand storage management.

You can try HP Storage Operations Manager for yourself here.

Let’s say few Logical Unit Numbers (LUN) were assigned to a host about a month back. If no I/O has taken place on those LUNs during the entire period, we can safely say that they are not being used by the host and can be allocated to some other hosts where additional storage space is needed.

The good news is that with the HP SOM 10.01 release, this analytics capability has been built in. This process is so simple that you won’t believe it. To utilize these capabilities, simply go to Analytics and Dashboards workspace in SOM UI and select Storage Systems Unused Volumes Analytics view. The Analytics – Storage Systems by Mapped Volumes with No I/O view lists Storage systems and it’s total size of LUNs on which no I/O has taken place in last 30 days.

Figure 1: Storage Systems Unused Volumes Analytics - click for larger image

The next step is to click on the storage system that interests you to reclaim storage. This opens up another view with list of all mapped volumes that did not have any I/O activity in the last 30 days.

Figure 2: Analytics – Storage Systems by Unused Volumes Capacity

Once that step is completed, simply login to the device manager of the storage system and reassign these LUNs to another host or un-assign and delete them. This gives us reliable information on reclaimable storage space from storage systems.

There may be a scenario when you may want to change the default value of 30 days to another suitable value based on your data center policy. This can be accomplished by changing the parameter “analytics.shr.volume.perf.duration.days=NN” in custom.properties file.

Happy storage management!!

Make sure you try HP Storage Operations Manager for yourself here.

Storage Operations Manager (SOM) is a storage resource management solution that helps you reduce total costs of storage operations and increase productivity. Start your free trial today.  

Tweet to us at @HPITOps  and let us know what you think! | Follow HP Software on LinkedIn  | Friend HP Software on Facebook  

-
Michael Procopio
LinkedIn.com/in/Michael Procopio
  • infrastructure management
0 Kudos
About the Author

MichaelProcopio

HPE Software Product Marketing. Over 20 years in network and systems management.

Comments
Occasional Contributor

This gives us reliable information on reclaimable storage space from storage systems.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event