IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Play it again, vPV!

Play it again, vPV!

Stefan Bergstein

vPV movieIn the recent months, I have introduced HP Virtual Performance Viewer (vPV) to many people. After talking about the key benefits of the server virtualization product and demonstrating a few product features, I often receive the question “Where can I get more information?”.

The product homepage (www.hp.com/go/vPV) is a good starting point, but most of the time I simply say “I will send you a few videos”.

In this post, I would like to share my favorite vPV videos with you. You can also find them at this Youtube playlist as well.

Getting started

You can get a first impression of vPV with the “vPV overview” video and the “Getting started with vPV” video. The first video is a short, high-level introduction. In the second video, you will see how simple it is to install vPV and see immediate results. After downloading and deployment, the video will give you a quick look at the vPV dashboard and treemap for troubleshooting performance and capacity problems in your virtual environment.

The video “One tool - many environments” briefly illustrates how vPV supports VMware, Hyper-V, KVM, Xen and OpenStack.

Three-part tutorial

Part one “Identify performance bottlenecks” of the tutorial shows the values and workflows of the vPV treemap. It shows  how the intuitive user interface finds performance issues in multi-hypervisor environments. It allows you to visualize performance, resource utilization and capacity for datacenters, clusters, hosts, resource pools, VMs and data stores. This enables immediate discovery of anomalies and hotspots.

Part three of the tutorial explains the performance workbench and reports. The workbench is the tool for the subject matter experts to perform rapid triage analysis and troubleshoot problems based on a wide range of metrics. The video shows also the date range panel that you can use to go easily back and forth in time and quickly correlate metrics across the virtual resources.

The advanced topics

Smart alerts, which are based on automatic anomaly detection, are shown in the video “Detect and resolve performance anomalies using alerts”. The video shows real examples of rich alerts about memory bottleneck and IO latency.

In the next video, Capacity planning through what-if modelling and analysis is discussed in the context of proactive scenarios. The forecast shows you future CPU, memory and storage shortcomings for your upcoming projects. The automatically computed maximum shortfalls give you the necessary information to take suitable actions.

vPV cap.png 

Performance issues of the virtual workload can be diagnosed in real-time with one-second data granularity. vPV offers an optional compute sensor that can be placed into your virtual machines so that you can drill down into process level details. This functionality is shown in the “Advanced performance troubleshooting using Real Time Guest OS Drilldown” video.

… And there are even more videosvPV drill.png

The vPV Playlist covers more topics and interesting integrations such as with HP CSA and HP OneView. You can find all vPV videos on YouTube. Have a look and try out vPV – it is simple and provides virtualization insights just in 15 minutes.

Acknowledgement

The vPV development team recorded most of the videos—so they offer an in-depth perspective on the product. My special thanks to Pranesh Ramachandran for all of his dedication on social media for vPV.

• infrastructure management
About the Author

Stefan Bergstein

ITOM Software, Infrastructure Automation and Hybrid Cloud at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Software now part of Micro Focus