IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Our connected world seen through the Spanish looking glass

Our connected world seen through the Spanish looking glass

SaumyaUpadhyaya

The world is increasingly connected and this has never been more evident to me than today as I walk the streets of Barcelona. While I understand this modern connectivity, sometimes it takes stepping out of everyday experiences to truly understand the changes that have happened over the past few years. Come with me as I describe the changes in connectivity that I noticed on my way to HP Discover in Barcelona.

One of the first signs of global connectivity was with a recent movie I saw. Everybody knows Jackie Chan, right? But did you know one his films “Wheels on Meals” was partially filmed in Barcelona?

Image courtesy of Golden Harvest

While I saw the movie a few weeks back, it reminded me of my trip to Barcelona—and was a great Spanish Connection to my world.

His films remind me of the agility and dynamic way he deals with issues. Athletic acrobatics, or clever direction, or both, the net result in impressive.

I had a second Spanish connection during a quick walk here in Barcelona this week, I saw a bunch of street acrobats doing very similar movements. Their collective efforts were very effective and entertaining and reminded me how connected we all are and how that requires flexibility from everyone.

We’re announcing a lot of new features in our Business Service Management portfolio at HP Discover this week, and I am excited about the Operations Bridge announcement.

Just like Jackie Chan we’ve been busy increasing our flexibility producing lots of ways to connect and integrate the Operations Bridge with existing and new technologies.

Connections in the real world

We all know that the “Internet of Things” describes the world we live in now and how it’s evolving. I recently saw an example of this within our own organization. HP IT now provides vending machines to allow busy executives to get resources, a UDB stick, a cable, a transformer, a tablet—all at the push of a button. The machine sends a notification to the employee’s manager that the IT was purchased, and the employee didn’t have to spend time filing for it.

I was equally amazed to see this connectivity in my home town in France. It was extremely useful to see a bus stop indicating how long it would be before the bus would arrive. The bus was late, but it arrived in the time frame announced—and I could plan accordingly. This wasn’t just a scheduled update, the display was showing time calculated from where the bus actually was. It was 6:45 a.m., so I doubt that was done by any manual intervention. It was quite a nice touch to know how long I would be waiting.

(And incidentally the bus from my home town to the airport in Geneva, a 1 hour trip, had WiFi… which further enhanced my connectedness.)

So it’s no exaggeration to say that everything’s connected, and that digitization is everywhere as Mike Shaw’s recent blog states.

Corralling the devices

I think this shows that there truly is a huge variety of connected devices and the technologies they invoke. You can read about the fast pace of application rollout in Mike’s blog and elsewhere. Of course when things go wrong, who fixes the issues?

The challenges facing IT are increasing all the time. So it’s no wonder that they constantly seek new ways of managing resources and service delivery. We think the Operations Bridge can help with these problems.

And now, Operations Bridge just got better with the announcement of OMi version 10, a core product in the Operations Bridge solution.

We have improved the means to “sense” the state of important IT resources, by improving the content it manages

We added over 100+ integrations with all sorts of technologies invoked by new apps that roll up every day that you chose for your digital business, e.g. MongoDB, Ruby, Vertica, VMWare, HortonWorks and many more.

These integrations bring events, metrics and topology data in the Operations Bridge, and now we provide new simple modeling capabilities that accelerate time to value. Of course the service model using the RtSM is still a fundamental component of the OpsBridge, but now it’s faster and easier to get started.

The Management Packs and the automated monitoring they provide, make it easier to utilize domain specific correlation rules for use in the Operations Bridge to find root cause. Some of them also provide domain-specific reporting content packs for use with Service Health Reporter, which is provided with the Operations Bridge.

This ever-growing list of connectors provides the “perfect pass” of the management data from the tools you’ve already chosen.

All of these management packs use Automated Monitoring. This provides value through several aspects

• All newly deployed IT resources are detected and monitoring templates which are based on best practices and have been pre-tested are deployed to the target IT resources. The inverse is also automated, making sure no surplus IT management capacity is active
  • Subject matter experts such as DBAs, or application domain experts can change parameters to suit their requirements without needing the skills to master the monitoring tools, and without needing IT operations assistance
  • Auditing and reporting of what is actively being managed and how it is managed becomes explicit—easing maintenance and facilitating controlled changes
  • New instances of IT and business services comprising of web servers, applications, DBs and middleware, which are often rolled out on different sites, are detected and monitoring is applied to each component.

OMi version 10 has several other important new features:

• Single server installation and embedded postgreSQL database.
  • 3x increased scalability of the managed environment by the Operations Bridge, ensuring 10’s of millions of objects can be managed in your environment
  • 3x faster time to value, especially with the single server installation, but also through re-engineered navigation meaning 3x less clicks between event and the fix.

We think this improved list of content likely to help all Operations teams out.

Hey, that Spanish Connection can get even clearer if you attend @HPDiscover, or in our webinar December 17th.

If you’d like to learn more about OpsBridge new features, OMi version 10, SHR 9.40, and the OM2OMi evolution program, at HP Discover come to:

If you cannot make it to HP Discover, then I encourage you to  register for our OpsBridge announcement webinar “3 Things IT Operations Always Wanted for Christmas” on Dec 17th

You can also get more information about Operations Bridge with our ebook, white papers, and customer testimonials at www.hp.com/go/opsbridge

• operations bridge
About the Author

SaumyaUpadhyaya

Comments
Super Collector

Hi ,

I came to know that a new Operations bridge ( OMi ) 10 has been released .

Can some 1 help me to find the latest release documents / PPTs/ Release notes for this new release .

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jay

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event