IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Operations Manager i: Event Browser unleashed! Your guide to IT event management

Operations Manager i: Event Browser unleashed! Your guide to IT event management

Harald

With the Operations Manager i (OMi) Event Browser, operators get an overview of the status from their monitored IT in a single pane of glass. If you open OMi, the Event Browser is already integrated into the Event Perspective. When you open OMi for the first time you will see a workspace similar to this:

Event Perspective in OMi

Operations Manager i from the beginning shows an Event Perspective including several components like the Event Browser. This is what most customers are using as default. It is divided into three parts. To the left there is a View Browser displaying all Configuration Items (CIs) for a specific view. The area to the right displays a list of possible actions using the Actions component. Depending on the event which is selected different actions can be started. Last no least the area in the middle shows the Event Browser including all events and also the event details.

Download Operations Manager i and try it out

Control the events shown via the View Browser. From there different views can be selected and the result is displayed as a CI-Tree. A click on any CI will trigger a change of the Event View Filter. In addition to the Event View Filter the Event Browser also has an Event Filter which can be used to filter for specific event attributes (like e.g. title or description).

Status Update

There is also a status bar at the bottom that display the number of events shown and a number that indicates the different severities for all events shown.

Did you know that a simple click on the status bar already filters for severities? The status bar also allows users to filter for events "assigned to me" or for events assigned to others. Remember: A Role concept can also be applied to either restrict or allow to view events which are assigned to other users.

Another important thing of the Event Browser is the Browser Options:

From here you can configure the columns which are displayed and their orders. In addition the tab Other lets you configure various things like colors for different types of events. You want to be notified by a sound for every incoming event? -> No problem just select the Play sound notification for new events and you will never miss a new event.

Now that you have seen the Event Perspective you might ask: Can I also use the event browser standalone?  E.g. in order to include it into a customer portal or to use it for cross-launching from another application. The good answer this: Yes it can be used also standalone using the URL Launch.

URL Launch

To view the event browser standalone simply use the following URL:

http://<OMi System>/opr-web/opr-evt-browser

This will open a page displaying all events available in the Operations Manager i Database which are not in state closed.

At the bottom in the middle you also see the various filter capabilities (Event View Filter and the Event Filter).

In addition there are also additional configuration capabilities which can be applied using URL parameters. Let me highlight some of them now:

Defining Columns

The default column layout can be adapted using the columns keyword. That means in case I wanted to see only the event title and severity I can pass the following parameter to the Event Browser URL:

?columns=title,severity

The result looks like this:

Filter for specific attributes

In order to filter for specific attributes the keyword filter_<stringAttributeName>_<filterType> can be used. I think this needs a little bit more explanation.

The <stringAttributeName> should be replaced by the event attribute. For <filterType> one can use e.g. contains or equals.

That means in case you would like to see only event where the title contains "Test" then the following parameter needs to be added to the URL:

filter_title_contains=Test

Another filtering possibility would be to filter by time attribute. This can be triggered by the keyword filter_<timeAttributeName>=fromTime-toTime.

E.g. we want to view events which are created between 6th and 7th of August the following keyword can be applied:

filter_timeCreated=20150806000000-20150807000000

Filtering by Other Event Characteristics

There is also a variety of other filters available. E.g. one can filter for events which has duplicates, annotations or symptoms.

E.g to show all events which are cause events (that means events which have symptoms) apply the following filter: filter_hasSymptoms

Show the event browser as read-only

Another remaining aspect, but is very important, is to show the Event Browser as read-only. Useful e.g. in order to embed the Event Browser into an external portal and just display events without allowing others to do any modification. For this just use the following parameter: readOnly=true

As you can see this setting also disables some features and also hides some icons. The user can see events and details but no modifications are allowed.

Summary:

As you can see the Event Browser is a very flexible component of IT event management. It can be used in multiple ways. As default it is included into the Operations Manager i Event Perspective and is already customized to fit most users' needs. In addition it also offers the flexibility to allow you use URL launch and adapt it to your needs.

Download Operations Manager i and try it out.

• operations bridge
About the Author

Harald

Comments
N/A

I just want to say that I like your posting. In fact I am using your site regularly. Your articles are very effective and i am very thankful to you for sharing this site with knowledgeable content .