IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

OMi Management Pack Development Kit – Overview

OMi Management Pack Development Kit – Overview

Nitin_Nagoria

Guest post by Devadoss, Madan Gopal , Expert - HP Software

Hello readers,

This is the first blog, in a series of blogs and videos, through which I will walk you through the steps, facts, and nuances of creating an HP Operations Manager i Management Pack (MP) using the OMi Management Pack Development Kit (referred hereafter as DevKit). Through these blogs, I wish to enable you to efficiently create your own OMi MP using the DevKit, with little to no additional help. Operations Manager i - IT Event correlation and incident management software - allows you to see all of your incidents in a single pane of glass.

The DevKit enables everyone with knowledge of Perl programming to create an OMi MP. And let me tell you, using the DevKit with Perl works like a charm. Being a general purpose language, Perl serves the needs of the OMi MP monitoring solution very well.

A major impediment to creating a new OMi MP has always been the prerequisite knowledge of HP Operations Manager i (OMi) and HP Operations agent and the associated development time. The DevKit completely overcomes this barrier. It provides you with a simple Perl-based development environment to create an OMi MP regardless of prerequisite knowledge and development dependency.

You can download the DevKit, right now, from HP Live Network as a ZIP file. The only runtime pre-requisite for DevKit is that you have Perl version 5.8.8 or later. Setting up the development environment is really easy. Just download and extract the ZIP file to a folder of your choice; there are no complex installation or configuration steps to follow. The development process, by itself, can be depicted in three distinct steps:

The core idea of the DevKit is its abstraction of product interfaces. The DevKit APIs provide you with product agnostic interfaces that function seamlessly in:

• Standalone development mode
  • Product runtime mode

Test and verify the monitoring solution in the standalone mode and rest assured that the DevKit APIs will invoke the correct product APIs in the run time in a completely seamless manner. This capability allows you to create an OMi MP using simple Perl scripts and configuration files, while being unaware of HP OMi or Operations agent.

The runtime implementation of the DevKit APIs is provided by an OMi Content Pack called OMi Monitor Framework. It provides the exact implementation of the APIs as the ones provided by the DevKit, which is the key to the seamless execution across development mode and runtime mode.

The OMi Monitor Framework Content Pack is available for download from HP Live Network at the same location as the DevKit. The picture below illustrates this concept.

In summary the DevKit enables you, as a developer, to focus completely on the monitoring logic and resolving monitoring-specific issues, instead of spending time on understanding and resolving issues with the underlying products.

They say, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” I am hopeful that this video is worth a lot more. Take a peek at this video for an elaborate overview of the DevKit and a deeper explanation of the concepts.

Don’t forget to review these related blog posts and documents that provide more useful information on the DevKit and on developing an OMi MP.

Learn more about Operations Manager and Operations Manager i here.

You can also download trials of the software to experience them for yourself.

Users of HP Operations Manager, “OM” for a while? You could profit from entitlement to the newer HP Operations bridge software using OMi and other products. The OM-to-OpsBridge evolution program including license exchange details is live. You can get more details by enquiring at om.opsbridge@hp.com Search on the tag OM2OpsBridge to find blogs discussing this program and evolution to OpsBridge. Search on OMiContent for other blogs on management packs and connectors.

Join the Operations Bridge team at HP Discover London to see a demonstration, get questions answered or just say hello.

• operations bridge
0 Kudos
About the Author

Nitin_Nagoria

Comments
Contributor.

Dears,

Very useful post. 

May I know where the Monitor Framework logs are printed in production mode.

The logs we do in perl modules. I don't see them in System.txt. Could you please guide me where I can see the logs from perl modules ($self->log($Self->INFO, "Message Here...")