IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Keys to deploying HP OMi 10 on Helion Public Cloud

Keys to deploying HP OMi 10 on Helion Public Cloud

Stefan Bergstei

In this blog post, I am going to describe and share my experience with deploying HP Operations Manager i 10.0 (OMi) on HP Helion Public Cloud. An Infrastructure as a Service platform such as HP Helion Public Cloud Compute is a great place to quickly spin-up a Linux server and install HP Operations Manager i for various use scenarios. An example of a good use case is monitoring workloads across public clouds such as AWS and Azure.

Getting started

If you don’t have the OMi 10 software at your fingertips, you can easily download the HP OMi 10.00 installation for Linux form www.hp.com/go/omi. Navigate to “Trials” and download HP_OMi_10.00_for_Linux.zip. I recommend using the HP Download Manager, because it is much faster than the standard download.

Launching and preparing a Linux system on HP Cloud

As a target system for the OMi server, I have picked a ready CentOS 6.3 64-bit image and launched it as standard.xlarge flavor with 15 GB RAM and a 30 GB root disk. Please do not forget to add a security group for port 383 so that the OMi server and HP OM agent can communicate. The system also needs a Floating IP. Those are quite a few clicks and I suggest to have a quick look that the HP Helion Public Cloud Quick Start Guide to get familiar with HP Cloud.

After launching and connecting to the instance using ssh, make sure you do a quick update.

# yum -y update 

I had to update the repo to use HTTP as it is described here.

I’m using xip.io to access the public IP address of the OMi server using the DNS name. This is required for the OMi web interface and OMi. You can try it with following commands on the OMi instance. Please replace the listed IP addresses (15.15.15.15) with the one from your instance.

# curl http://169.254.169.254/latest/meta-data/public-ipv4
# nslookup  omi.15.15.15.15.xip.io

Your local hostname and IP will look this:

# hostname
host-10-0-0-13
# nslookup host-10-0-0-13
Name:   host-10-0-0-13.openstacklocal
Address: 10.0.0.13

Installing and configuring the OMi 10 server

Copy the earlier downloaded HP_OMi_10.00_for_Linux.zip file to your instance and unzip the file. Put it on the ephemeral disk to avoid any space issue on the root disk. Start the installation:

# ./install.sh -console

The default answers are usually okay for a simple single server deployment. You just need to hit Y or enter.

To run the configuration a fast and simple. I have chosen to configure OMi silently. It is also a handy way to configure OMi when you do not have an X display. An example of the silent configuration file is placed on the OMi sever:

# less /opt/HP/BSM/opr/examples/silent-configuration/PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer.xml

I’ve created a customized version of PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer.xml with a few modifications:

• Set all passwords – please change these as described below
  • Set Apache as web server
  • Disabled User Engagement
  • Set expected deployment size to small
  • Picked a few OMi Management Packs to be installed: Infrastructure, Hadoop, Apache Web Server
  • Set the URL that OMi users use to access OMi to http://omi.xip.io:80 as placeholder. We need change this value manually later on because the configuration script seems to have problems with too many dots on the URL.

Please change the passwords in the file before you run the configuration script. Replace my-new-password with your secure password:

# sed -e s/pls-chg-passwd/my-new-password/g PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer.xml > PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer-my.xml
# /opt/HP/BSM/bin/silentConfigureBSM.sh PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer-my.xml
# rm PostgresEmbedded_SingleServer-my.xml

The command silentConfigureBSM.sh first runs the post-installation task and then the configuration tasks. Before starting the configuration tasks, the command validates the configuration file to ensure correct XML syntax. Validation errors are logged in the following log file:

/opt/HP/BSM/log/configserver/configserver_all.log

Now set the URL that OMi users use to access OMi. We need to change the placeholder http://omi.xip.io:80 with the URL. E.g. http://omi.15.15.15.15.xip.io:80 - please use the public IP of your instance:

# /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-support-utils.sh -list_settings -context platform | grep xip
# U=http://omi.15.15.15.15.xip.io:80
# /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-support-utils.sh -set_setting -context platform -set default.core.server.url $U
# /opt/HP/BSM/opr/support/opr-support-utils.sh -set_setting -context platform -set default.centers.server.url $U

Start OMi 10

The system is now ready to be started. The first startup can take some. You can monitor the progress in nanny_all.log

# /opt/HP/BSM/scripts/run_hpbsm start
# tail -f /opt/HP/BSM/log/supervisor/nanny_all.log

Once started, access the OMi user interface on this URL: http://omi.15.15.15.15.xip.io/omi

Monitoring AWS EC2 and Azure instances with your OMi 10 server

With your OMi 10 server you can monitor workloads and applications with out-of-the-box management packs, with agents or remotely agent-less as well as through integrations to Cloud monitoring API such as AWS CloudWatch and HP Helion Monitoring service.

As a last step in this blog post, I will show how to onboard an AWS EC2 instance so that the instance and workload are monitored with an HP Operations agent. You can use similar steps to manage instances in Azure or other clouds. Click here for a small sketch of the scenario. Please do not forget to add a security group for port 383 so that the OMi server and OM agent can communicate.

You can download the HP Operations agent bits from the HP Operations manager home page. Look for HP Operations OS Instance 11.14 English SW E-Media Evaluation trial software.

I’ve picked just the HP Operations Agents v11.14 – Linux ISO, since I’m running only Linux system on AWS. The iso image Software_HP_Operations_Agent_v11.14_Linux_ISO_TC097-15043.iso contains 64 bit and 32 agents for different Linux distributions.

Copy the iso to the AWS instance and mount it:

# mkdir -p /media/iso
# mount -o loop /root/Software_HP_Operations_Agent_v11.14_Linux_ISO_TC097-15043.iso /media/iso

Here are the steps to install and connect an HP Operations Agents on an Ubuntu 14.04 (ubuntu-trusty-14.04-amd64-server) instance on AWS. We need to take care of the public DNS name and public IP because the OMi needs to know the Ubuntu systems under the public name.

An agent profile with a few parameters is required for the agent installation. You can create the file with a small scripts (see mk_profile.sh). Download and run the script. The output should look like this:

# sh mk_profile.sh
set eaagt:OPC_NAMESRV_LOCAL_NAME=ec2-52-5-61-151.compute-1.amazonaws.com
set eaagt:OPC_NODENAME=ec2-52-5-61-151.compute-1.amazonaws.com
set eaagt:OPC_IP_ADDRESS=52.5.61.151

Create the profile and run the agent installation script. Please place the server name with the public DNS name of you OMi instance.

# sh mk_profile.sh > ec2_agent_profile.ini
# /media/iso/oainstall.sh -install -agent -srv omi.15.15.15.15.xip.io  -agent_profile $PWD/ec2_agent_profile.ini

Once the agent installation is done, you have to go back to you OMi server and grant the certificate request that has been sent out during the agent installation. Note, please don’t use the OMi user interface for granting the request. With OMi 10.00, this task needs to be done with a CLI, because the public IP of the Ubuntu instance on AWS must be specified.

ssh into your OMi server and have a look at the pending certificate requests:

# /opt/OV/bin/ovcm -listpending -l

RequestID:    8b9bb2a8-a83e-757c-0dd8-c63dc0502430
Context:
CN:           61bae418-a83e-757c-0090-9a7be59822d8
Nodename:     ip-172-30-0-55.ec2.internal
IPAddress:    172.30.0.55
PeerAddress:  52.0.146.235
Platform:     Linux 3.13, CPU: x64, OSBITS: 64
InstallType:  Auto
TimeReceived: 04/05/15 08:58:28 UTC

Find the request ID and public IP of your instance and grant the request:

# /opt/OV/bin/ovcm -grant 8b9bb2a8-a83e-757c-0dd8-c63dc0502430 -host 52.0.146.235

An OMi Auto grant script can automate this task and it is worth to describe it in another bog post.

On the Ubuntu instance on AWS you can check the installation of requested certificate with following command.

# /opt/OV/bin/ovcert –list

Now you are ready to deploy manually or automatically OMi Management Packs or your custom policies to monitor applications, databases and the OS on the Ubuntu instance on AWS.

Learn more

Do you like to read more about cloud monitoring, content and integrations for HP OMi? Please check out the following posts:

• infrastructure management
  • operations bridge
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stefan Bergstei

Chief Software Architect, ITOM Software, Automate RnD at Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Comments
Regular Contributor.

Hi Stefan,

It's a great atricle, Thanks for posting it.  I have some questions about the same deployment.

1) In case we have to use oracle or sql DB , Do we have to consider any dependencies as this deployment is on cloud.

2) Is there any more detailed documentation available for the same type of depleyment, if so can you please redirect to the same.

Thanks,

Somank

HPE Blogger

Hello Somank,

The interactive OMi Installation and Upgrade Guide is a good source for all details about deployment planning on various platforms and DBs.

You can also deploy HP OMi very quickly using the the OMi Virtual Appliance. It contains a pre-installed and pre-configured HP OMi system and is available as an Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) file that can be deployed to VMware ESX. For further details see the OMi Virtual Appliance Deployment Guide.

Regards,

Stefan