IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

“It really was working after just a few days of development” - OMi Management Pack Hackathon report

“It really was working after just a few days of development” - OMi Management Pack Hackathon report

Frank_Nitsch

By Frank Nitsch, interviewing Pau Rosello from HPE Software Professional Services about his experience with the Hackathon “Make your own Management Pack for HP Operations Manager i”.

The hackathon "Make your own Management Pack for HP Operations Manager i" is over. It's time to wrap it up in an adequate manner. To do this, I sat down and spoke to one of the participants and found out about his experience with the Management Pack Development Kit and with the hackathon as a whole.

Read on to learn from Pau Rosello about his motivation to join the hackathon, what he has learned, and what he has finally achieved.

Frank: Pau, first of all thank you for taking the time to review our hackathon, "Make your own Management Pack for HP Operations Manager i". How did you hear about the event and what was your motivation to accept the challenge in the first place?

Pau: I received a mail from my colleague Marta Martin as we are working together in the same project and I had the task to integrate a new product into OMi.

Frank: What did you enjoy most during the hackathon and what has been most helpful to learn about Management Pack development?

Pau: I think the kickoff where Madan made a demo while explaining the basics of MP development was really helpful. He has great talent for teaching and a live webinar is worth a thousand PDFs.

Frank: What was your level of expertise with Operations Manager i (OMi) and with Management Packs (MPs) for monitoring applications when you joined the hackathon?

Pau: I consider my knowledge of OMi sparse as this is my first project working with it. My colleague Elias Isabel was really helpful in order to understand the basics. On the Management Pack side I knew they existed as I had to install a few of them, but I didn’t know how to develop them. My first approach on the integration was to develop my own MP Devkit, but with a different approach: It was written in Python and using BSM Connector with XML listeners. But as soon as I understood the official Devkit I decided to use it.

Frank: Have you used an instance of OMi that was already available to you of have you used a trial version of the virtual appliance we had mentioned on the resources page for the hackathon?

Pau: As I participated in this Hackathon during a project I used an OMi instance already available. I have also tested the Virtual Appliance and think it’s a good way to reduce the time to start developing.

Frank: What application have you picked and developed a Management Pack for? Why this particular application?

Pau: I decided to develop for Nuage, an application from Alcatel Lucent that provides Software Defined Networking. SDN is a growing technology and there are a lot of projects interested in it. In fact, since I published the MP in HPLN I received emails from different people asking me questions in order to use it in their projects.

Frank: That sounds fantastic and it proves that the Management Pack Development Kit approach works. Have you been able to finish the Management Pack in time? Which features does it support finally?

Pau: The objective of the Hackathon was to have it working and it really was working after just a few days of development. This MP creates and updates a complex topology that is composed of networks, virtual machines and many other Configuration Items (CIs) that are constantly being updated. Events are also generated, when a problem is detected in some of the services offered by Nuage.

Frank: After the hackathon you had submitted your Management Pack to the Operations Bridge community. Tell us a bit about how that process has worked for you.

Pau: I think this process is really polished as after a short period of review I had access as administrator of the webpage published in Operations Bridge community allowing me to make further updates without hassle.

Frank: Would you participate in another event like this and recommend it to your colleagues?

Pau: I would totally participate again in a similar event as I think this is a really good way to create value for our products. Seeing as your contribution is used in real world is part of our “make a difference” motto.

Frank: What else do you want to share with us about the hackathon, your experience, and what could be improved for future events?

Pau: I want to thank for the effort and the dedication coming from the organization for making this event possible. Nowadays it is challenging to get this kind of knowledge in a large company like HPE, and you have shown that this is possible in under a week. Although I know it’s difficult to do, an event where developers are gathered in the same place and creating MPs for the proposed applications could be a very good way to push integrations for new products.

Frank: Are there any topics you would like to see covered by future events and hackathons? Anything that would help you being more efficient in the context of the Operations Bridge product family?

Pau: Understanding the Devkit by itself could be a good topic in order to know the limits and have more tools to troubleshoot problems.

Frank: Thank you so much for taking the time for this interview. The Operations Bridge blog and the related forums are the best places for knowledge exchange in the community and for learning about practitioner tips. Have a nice day and see you in the forums.

You can try Operations Manager i for yourself.

• operations bridge
About the Author

Frank_Nitsch

Comments
Honored Contributor.

Interesting interview and I can definitely see myself doing something similar in the future.