IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost my configuration, and I can't get up! Free network management to the rescue!

I lost my configuration, and I can't get up! Free network management to the rescue!

Mark Pinskey

Authored by Brian Kaplan - HP Product Manager

Have you ever had that sinking feeling where you worked over the weekend, making changes to several network devices, and now the network is down on Monday?  Phones are starting to ring and everyone is looking at you. As  the network admin they expect you  to fix it, but you can't because you forgot to back up the configuration beforehand.

Now you are frantic. Talk about a stressful situation.

Backing up network device configurations is one of the most fundamental best practices for any size network.  It is also one of the most overlooked best practices.  You promise yourself that you'll back it up tomorrow, but then disaster strikes before you get your chance. .

Image courtesy of:

http://www.savenetsolutions.ie/blog/tag/dilbert/

If you backup your network configurations, you'll obviously be in much better shape.  But, is it necessary to backup normal day-to-day operations?  The network may not go down every day; but maybe you need to troubleshoot a problem.  What happens if there is not a proper record of daily activities?

A good first question to ask yourself before you begin is, "what changed?"  Many experts say that 80 percent of issues and downtime are caused by erroneous configuration changes.  So the faster you can see what changed, the faster you can fix the problem.  Admins need some backup capability and also version control to be able to meet these most basic needs.

Image courtesy of http://pmtips.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/save-the-day.jpg

This is where the HP Network Device Configuration Inspector (NDCI 2.0) comes in.  This free tool (yes free!) gathers the current configurations of your network devices on a customized collection schedule and can automatically store the collected configurations in a version control system. This repository can then provide easy access to current and historical device configurations and can show changes over time.

Everyone deserves that kind of peace of mind. Download this free tool here.

• Visit HP's Network Automation page for information and details on HP Network Automation and for capabilities   beyond NDCI for automated configuration and compliance management of network devices.
  • Visit HP's Network Management Center for information on HP's entire set of network management offerings.
  • Please join us on LinkedIn

To try out this latest tool upgrade and to start managing your network configurations more effeciently all you have to do is click here for direct access to HP Network Device Configuration Inspector 2.00 for WIndows.

To access the entire "HP Free" tool set library just click here.  You don't know what your missing until you give it a try.

Sincerely,
Mark K. Pinskey

Lead Solutions Consultant
HP Software Professional Services
Tel: +1 330-635-3691 (Eastern)
mark.pinskey@hp.com

HP Software Professional Services
Shaping your IT strategy to achieve business value

• infrastructure management
0 Kudos
About the Author

Mark Pinskey

Mark is currently employed by Hewlett-Packard's Professional Services (PS) organization and serves as a Lead Solutions Consultant for HP's Business Service Management (BSM) set of HP software products. Mark is responsible for HP Software architecture and solution design for HP's comprehensive IT Performance Management solutions. Mark works with some of HP's largest customers within the continental United States. Mark comes from a strong background of understanding an organizations business needs for monitoring modern day business applications. Mark has held many different and challenging positions and responsibilities over the years at Hewlett-Packard Company including roles as a Senior Product Marketing Manager for HP's Network Management Center of products and has held various software presales roles including Dedicated Network Consultant, District Presales Leader and Solutions Consultant. Mark understands the many challenges that face network operators and corporations today and can craft management solutions from the smallest to the largest of enterprises. Mark enjoys working with leading edge technology as that engineered by HP Software.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event