IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

HP Codar helps bring automated DevOps to the enterprise!

HP Codar helps bring automated DevOps to the enterprise!

HPE-SW-Guest

Codar.jpg

Guest post by Stéphane H. Maes, PhD, CTO and Chief Architect of HP Software Cloud Product Unit

DevOps has been a concept re-hashed often over the last few years. Many different points of views and practices exists. That's why I guess it is often called a “movement” rather than anything more specific.

For me, here is how I define DevOps. It starts with automating as many steps as possible between the early design and development of the code of an application and service, to the different subsequent code reviews, sets of testing (and debugging), pre-production and production. But the story does not stop there. Upon reaching production, the "Ops" part of DevOps kicks in with monitoring and management of the applications. This typically also means closed-loop feedback to the developers about defects.

But to my thinking, DevOps really should be about automation: the autonomous management of the application, with issues auto-remediated.

With the ubiquity of the cloud (i.e .on-demand and self-service infrastructure platforms and applications) and the evolution of many development tools, developers really have what amounts to an à la carte menu of options for DevOps.

Codar logo.pngIntroducing HP Codar

This is some of the inspiration behind HP Codar, a new tool that facilitates some of these tasks for developers. The intention is to enable continuous delivery through easily automating application deployment to any target environment and integrating with your DevOps toolchain.

Developers can simply associate to their code some models of their application, including the infrastructure they need to deploy and run it. That modeling can be done entirely done in code. From their tool, they can then trigger deployment of the code on appropriate infrastructure.

How HP Codar works with other HP products

HP Codar is built on the same technologies as HP Cloud Service Automation (CSA) and Operations Orchestration (OO). It also draws on the use of Eclipse® score project, an opensource orchestration engine, making use of OO's orchestration technology recently contributed to the community by HP Software. That’s important because content can be adapted and used to add testing, monitoring, etc., to the applications at each stage or even promote it to a self-service catalog where a user can start subscribing to it.

By combining HP Codar with open source or application lifecycle management tools, developers can integrate HP Codar into an à la carte open source toolchain or in an HP ALM toolchain, and help to bring DevOps to the enterprise. Similarly, deploying on a cloud like HP Helion facilitates on demand provisioning or reuse of infrastructure at each stage, especially ahead of going into production. Setting up monitoring at production prepares for closed feedback loops and autonomous computing. HP Codar and OO/Eclipse Score also facilitates the deployment on new DevOps platforms — think of managing the deployment of dockerized applications and images in docker containers or on a PaaS platform like the Helion Development platform.

Bringing DevOps practices to the enterprise

I believe we will see tools like HP Codar really bring DevOps practices to enterprise. I also think they will help all developer communities to more easily set up appropriate Ops at the end of the development process — a topic I will address further in an upcoming blog.

To learn more about Project Codar, visit the website for developers here.

Next join us at HP Discover, and see first hand the different activities lined up for you! Including seeing HP Codar in action.

• infrastructure management
0 Kudos
About the Author

HPE-SW-Guest

This account is for guest bloggers. The blog post will identify the blogger.