IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide to reporting in the new APM (BSM 9.2x) + OMi 10 distributed world

Guide to reporting in the new APM (BSM 9.2x) + OMi 10 distributed world

AnkitMehta

So, you’ve decided to take a leap up to Operations Bridge for event correlation. Bravo, and congratulations on this step in your organization’s evolutionary journey (listen to this customer’s success story Darwinian Evolution of Operations Manager to see why I think this truly is an evolution). Your next step is planning out your deployment, and trying to put all the pieces together to create the deployment architecture. One of the pieces I want to help you with is reporting.

In this blog, I will be talking about the reporting needs using HP Service Health Reporter 9.40 (SHR), which provides out-of-the-box reporting for various solutions within the HP Business Service Management suite and beyond. I hope you are somewhat familiar with SHR, and its reporting content (content packs). I also hope you have a fair idea of the content packs you are interested in. You will benefit the most from this blog if you already have a good idea of how your BSM 9.25/OMi 10 deployments are going to look like, if not already deployed.

I have defined two different scenarios, depending on whether you have (or plan to have) both APM and Operations Bridge. If you are an existing user of SHR, and just need to understand how best to proceed with SHR with the new distributed OMi/APM deployment then I have also highlighted two additional scenarios depending on whether you have SHR deployed in OM deployment or BSM (APM) deployment. To further describe this scenario of distributed deployment, the minimum requirements are BSM 9.25+ and OMi 10+. You can refer to the deployment architecture diagram in Fig.1 as a context to the sections described further below.

Fig.1 SHR in APM 9.25 + OMi 10 distributed deployment

New Operations Bridge only deployment

If your monitoring needs are being met by OpsBridge alone, i.e. just OMi 10.x and SHR, then the next deployment is straight forward. You just integrate SHR with your OMi 10 Run Time Service Model (RTSM), deploy the content packs of interest, and that’s it. For all content packs—except OMi events and Service Health—SHR only sources the topology information from OMi 10 RTSM, and therefore those content packs continue to function as before. For OMi Events and Service Health content packs, you need to configure the OMi Event DB details, just like with OMi 9x, and those too remain the same as before.

Operations Bridge + APM deployment

Things get a little interesting when you have both APM and OpsBridge in your environment. You need all of the reporting content packs in SHR, including EUM (RUM/BPM) content packs in addition to the others. In such a scenario, please follow the high level steps mentioned below (please refer to the respective product guides for the specifics).

• Configure the RTSM synchronization from the APM RTSM to OMi 10 RTSM (you can also configure the sync in the other direction if your needs demand). In other words, OMi 10 RTSM is the master. This synchronization is governed by certain RTSM views, please ensure the result includes the CIs you are interested in collecting from SHR. Please refer to the OMi integration guide for further details.
  • As a good practice, enabled global ID generation for each CI on the OMi 10 RTSM. The SHR content packs going forward will also collect the global ID as an additional attribute.
  • Configure SHR to integrate with the OMi 10 RTSM as the topology source.
  • In addition, also configure the BSM profile DB connections to collect and report on the BPM and/or RUM content. Refer to the steps in the SHR configuration guide for more information.

• Service Health content: You should configure SHR to collect the Service Health data from only one of the two sources, i.e. either BSM 9.2x or OMi 10.
    • If you have only OMi 10 in your environment then its straight forward, just integrate SHR with OMi 10, deploy the Service Health content pack in SHR, and off you go.
    • If you have both BSM 9.2x and OMi10, I recommend you configure SHR to collect the Service Health data from OMi 10. Ensure that you have configured KPI/HI status sync and event forwarding (and of course topology sync) from BSM 9.2x to OMi 10, as described in the OMi 10 Integrations guide to make this operate as expected. This will ensure that APM specific KPIs/HIs will be synchronized and available on the OMi 10 server to be collected by SHR.

Have SHR deployed and integrated with APM

If you have SHR already deployed, and are using your APM RTSM as the topology source, then you need to switch to using the OMi10 RTSM as the topology source. SHR 9.40 provides a utility, the topology migration tool, to change your topology source. The tool also provides a way to update your existing data with the right CIID as per the new OMi 10 RTSM.

Have SHR deployed and integrated with OM

If you are just evolving from OM to OMi, and have SHR currently deployed with OM, then again you need to switch to using OMi 10 RTSM as the topology source. You use the same topology migration tool mentioned above to now point SHR to the OMi 10 RTSM, and also to map the existing data correctly to the new CIID that will now come from OMi 10 RTSM.

HP OV Reporter to SHR migration

If you are currently an HP OV Reporter (OVR) user, then you should upgrade to SHR. SHR is a more feature rich and a comprehensive reporting solution. It offers wider domain coverage out-of-the-box, third-party integration capabilities, and a much larger scalability. Please refer to the reporting section in the Operations Bridge Evolution Guide for a deeper analysis on the benefits of moving up to SHR, and content coverage in SHR vis-à-vis OVR.

For more information on Operations Bridge, visit the product page here.

For more information about HP Operations Manager i visit the homepage here.

Get more information on HP Operations Bridge solutions and the OMI product here

This is one blog in a series, search on the tag OMIContent to see more blogs concerning OpsBridge integrations, management packs, and BSM Connectors content"

News :

HP Discover Las Vegas 2015 is just around the corner, starting June 2nd. We have many announcements, sessions, demonstration booths for you to see and learn about our new exciting innovations.

Please register early to avoid disappointment, our HP OpsBridge related sessions are

Session #

Title

Date / Time

Speakers

Room

V3739

Vivit Opsbridge Deep Dive Session

Monday 1st June 1.00 – 3.00 PM

Carol Park
Ken Herold

Ian Bromehead

RT1250

IT Transformation best practices, how evolving to the OpsBridge brings value

Tuesday, June 02, 2015

12:30 PM-01:30 PM

Mike Davies

Andy Wilkes

Miron Mizrahi

Ian Bromehead

San Polo 3401A

RT1251

Identifying the power and differentiation of a business value dashboard

Wednesday 3rd June

4.30-5.30PM

Luke Bradley Andreas Grollich, Vodafone Group
Harald Burose, Miron Mizrahi, HP

DT952

See how the all new OpsBridge Business Value Dashboard turns IT data into business insight

Tuesday, June 02, 2015
04:30 PM-05:00 PM

Luke Bradley and Andreas Grollich of Vodafone Ireland

Harald Burose, HP

Discover Theater 5, Discover Zone

B827

Announcing HP Operations Bridge v10, case studies of Vancity and Arizona Public Services

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

09:30 AM-10:30 AM

Jay Rooney, Vancity

Ben Clonts, Arizona Public Sector

Ian Bromehead, HP

Lido 3102

DF833

How IT Event Management with analytics inside can help you dramatically improve efficiency

Thursday, June 04, 2015

01:30 PM-02:00 PM

Harald Burose, HP

Ian Bromehead, HP

Discussion Forum 5, Discover Zone

B814

Evolving from domain to service-driven operations to dramatically improve operational efficiency

Wednesday 3rd June
12.30-1.30PM

Luke Bradley | Andreas Grollich | of Vodafone Group
William Gillen | Richa Trivedi of Fidelity Investments

B614

Innovations in the Operations Agent are helping customers improve operations efficiency

Sanjay Chaudhary, HP David Herbstman, Wells Fargo, Kevin Hoffman, Costco

B790

Maximize cloud and application performance with hundreds of operations bridge integrations

Thursday 4th June 3-4PM

Idan Harel, DoitWise, Rene Soltis, Citrix, Stefan Bergstein, HP

DT1080

Proving value to executive management, Verizon Wireless on IT Operations Monitoring and Automation

Thursday 4th June

2.30-3.00PM

Andy Wilkes, HP
Anthony Gibson, Verizon Wireless

RT1280

Best practices for cloud monitoring with BSM

Thursday 4th June

9-10 AM

Idan Harel, Doitwise
Stefan Bergstein, HP

B1247

What’s new in BSM

Tuesday 2nd June

12.30-13.30

Christoph Pfister

Jeff Scheaffer

Joe Fox, HP

The OM2Opsbridge program including license exchange details is now live.
Search on the tag OM2OpsB to find blogs discussing this program and evolution to OpsBridge.

We are pleased to announce the HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade, version 1.1.
The HP BSM Integration for BMC Impact Manager by Comtrade enables you to establish a link between BMC Impact Manager and HP Operations Manager i 10 (OMi).

The key features of this release are:

Support of Operations Manager i 10 and BSM Connector 10
    Self-discovery

The installation package and the integration guide are available at http://www.comtrade.com/bmc-integration/

We are also pleased to announce the availability of yet another extension to our fast growing catalogue of management tools, the lightweight OMi Management Pack for Docker has been released on HP-LN:

https://hpln.hp.com/contentoffering/omi-management-pack-docker

• operations bridge
About the Author

AnkitMehta

Senior Solution Consultant, AnO Customer Assist Team

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event