IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Configuring OMi to exclude event KPIs from impacting service health

Configuring OMi to exclude event KPIs from impacting service health

Ops_Guest

Guest post by Carol Park, Operations Bridge R&D

This blog article is a follow-up to my previous entry, “Configuring OMi to propagate event KPIs with the parent displaying the sum of events,” which described how to keep a running total of the highest severity events on a parent CI. This new article covers how to configure Hewlett Packard Enterprise Operations Manager i to not show event KPIs in Service Health. But why would you want to do this?

There are two fundamental approaches to determine how OMi Service Health is calculated:

Event-based KPIs

These are well described in “OMi – Event Count based special KPIs (Unassigned Events and Unresolved Events KPIs).” But briefly, their KPI status on a CI is based on the highest severity event that is not closed.  This mimics the behavior of the service map or service navigator in HPE Operations Manager (HPE OM).  OMi takes this capability one step further by allowing you to configure whatever custom event based KPIs you need to represent different aspects of health on a CI rather than just one in HPE OM.  These custom event KPIs can include Security, Performance, Availability and so on.

Health-based KPIs

These KPIs are driven by Health Indicators (HIs) whose status is driven by events containing an Event Type Indicator (ETI) of the same name.  HI status is not affected if the event is closed.  HI status changes only when another event changes the HI or if you explicitly reset the HI status, which can be done manually in the UI or via REST API.  Thus, by extension, KPI status doesn’t change based on whether an event is open or closed, unlike the Event-based KPIs.  The philosophy here is that service health reflects that a problem exists until another event comes in to indicate that the problem is fixed.  An example of this is a threshold monitor generating an event that sets the HI for Database cache hit ratio to low, which causes the Software Performance KPI status to change from Normal to Warning.  Closing the event doesn’t change the situation.  It is still an issue until the monitoring detects and generates a subsequent event that sets the HI for Database cache hit ratio back to Normal.

By default, OMi Service Health is driven by both event-based KPIs and health-based KPIs. If you want to work with event-based KPIs, I suggest reviewing the previous blog articles which provide the details.

This article considers the case where you might want Service Health to reflect status from health-based KPIs and not be influenced by event severity.  In other words, you may not want to see a critical CI status* just because a critical event is in the browser for that CI.  Instead, you need to decide which events set Health Indicators that affect KPIs and what their status should be.

(*CI status is always the worst status of all the KPIs on that CI.  CI status is seen in various Service Health-related components such as Top View, Hierarchy (CI status column), Custom Map and Geographical Map.)

Option 1: “I don’t want to have Event KPIs at all”

In this scenario, all you must do is stop the KPI assignment and apply the change. Accomplish this by following these steps:

• Go to KPI Assignments
  • Select the ConfigurationItem CI Type
  • Select "OMi KPI Assignments" and click “Stop”

OMI workspaces stopped.png

• Click “Synchronize CI Type” to apply the change to all CIs

Note: If you later decide you want them back, just click on Revert and click “Synchronize CI Type” again.

Option 2: “I want Event KPIs in some views, but not in others”

You can configure individual views to show the Event KPIs or exclude them.  If the KPI is visible in the view, you can also decide whether it should contribute to CI status in that view.  Other views would be unaffected, so may show a different CI status because they include the KPI in the CI status calculation.  To do this:

• Go to KPIs in Views
  • Select a view that you want to change
  • Find the Event KPIs
    • If you want to see the Event KPI in the view but you don’t want it to contribute to the overall CI status, clear the “Include in CI Status” box
    • If you don’t want to see the Event KPI in the view at all, clear the “Include in View” box. When you select the view in Service Health (eg, Top View or 360 View), it will look as if the KPI does not exist

OMi Workspaces administration.png

The screenshot below shows the view in service health before the change was made.

Hierarchy.png

The screenshot below shows the view in service health after the change was made.  Note that the Unassigned Events KPI is not visible and neither of the Event KPIs contributes to CI status.

CiCollection Template.png

Try OMi now! HPE Operations Manager i  event correlation software comes pre-loaded with a number of Management Packs that you can try out without the hassle of getting management pack software or evaluation license.

Read more:

HPE Operations Bridge
HPE Live Network: Operations Bridge Evolution
HPE Live Network: Operations Manager i

• operations bridge
About the Author

Ops_Guest

Comments
N/A

Good article. We had to do at multiple customer to ensure the correct status populated to business levels to show the accurate impact.

I am looking for article which talks about system availability KPI and how does it impact in OMi..does OMi do anything OOTB to enable populate the same.?

N/A

Thanks for expaining in detail. Can we have webinar in forum?

HPE Expert

Hi Mukesh, sorry about the delay - just got your comment in email this week, and in the meantime we discussed this topic in the most recent evolution round table, but if you want to dig into this topic further, just let us know in the next round table.

CP.

HPE Expert

Hi Rupesh, thanks for your comment.  Apologies for the delay as well.  I can see in the meantime you already raised this topic recently in the community /t5/Operations-Manager-i-Support/System-Availability-KPI-in-OMi/td-p/6928263 where there was some discussion.

CP.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event