IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

Business Value Dashboard: Data integration (part 1)

Business Value Dashboard: Data integration (part 1)

Harald

The Business Value Dashboard is a brand new product release part of the IT Operations Bridge. It helps you to visualize complex data and displays the status of your IT at a glance. Creating your own dashboard is simple and easy which lets your IT shine in a new light.

bvd_b1.png

In my last blog, I wrote about the basics of Business Value Dashboard (BVD), how to install it and how to get started: Business-Value-Dashboard-Get-started-now

Now it’s time for more details regarding the integration capabilities of BVD. In this blog, I will explain how to connect your Operations Manager i (OMi) Events and KPI (Key Performance Indicators) with BVD. This will enable you to see Event and KPI data on any BVD Dashboard.

Let's get started!

Time to start with the data integration. First of all, sending data to BVD is really simple. BVD has an API which accepts data in JavaScript Object Notation (JSON). All data you send to BVD is grouped in so-called Data Channels. These Data Channels make it easy to find your data and connect it to the widgets on the Dashboard. This likely requires you to do some data conversion, but with this format, BVD is very flexible with getting connected to any kind of system or product.

Hint: If you want to learn more about the JSON format, you can find a very detailed explanation in the BVD help section. Just search for: Sending JSON Data to BVD.

For OMi, this data conversion is pretty easy since there are already two scripts available:

• Event integration for Operations Manager i (OMi)
  • KPI integration for OMi

Please download the Event and KPI integration scripts from BVD: Administration -> Download Tools and Samples -> OMi 10.x Tools

Hint: There are also tools available which can be used with OMi 9.x: Administration -> Download Tools and Samples -> OMi 09.x Tools

I recommend you unzip the OMi 10.x Tools into your OMi <OMi> folder. Afterwards, you can find tools for Event and KPI integrations in the bin directory (e.g. for Linux: /opt/HP/BSM/opr/bin):

• Event integration: bvd-event-status.sh
  • KPI integration: bvd-kpi-status.sh

Hint: On Linux you need to set the +x bit to make the scripts executable:
chmod 755 bvd-event-status.sh
chmod 755 bvd-kpi-status.sh

The next step is to connect the script to your BVD instance. Please do so by modifying the configuration file. You can find it here (I recommend you make a copy of the original file before you edit them): Linux: /opt/HP/BSM/opr/examples/bvd/bvdconf-sample.json Windows: <OMi>\opr\examples\bvd\bvdconf-sample.json

For now it is sufficient to edit the values for "url": "url": "<BVD_URL>/api/submit/<YourApiKey>bvd_b2.png

Replace the values for <BVD_URL> and <YourApiKey>. The API Key can be found in BVD -> Administration -> System Settings. The <BVD_URL> is the receiver url which you configured during the BVD configuration.

Hint: In case you are using a proxy, also change the proxy settings according to your network setup.

Event integration:

The event integration scripts forwards all OMi events which are part of an OMi Dashboard (please be careful since I am talking about the OMi Operator dashboard now).

The OMi Operator Dashboard names can found in OMi: Administration -> Operations Console -> Monitoring Dashboards:
bvd_b3.png

If you have not created one, it is time to do so. For a test, you can also reuse one of the example dashboards part of OMi, e.g.: Example: Operations Manager Overview. In my case, I have created a new one called: OMi Dashboard Harald. So my script call looks like this
./bvd-event-status.sh -dn "OMi Dashboard Harald" -username harald ‑password geheim
Please use the -dc /opt/HP/BSM/opr/examples/bvd/bvdconf.json parameter in case you get the following error:
ERROR: The environment variable "OvDataDir" cannot be read.

When the script is running you will see an INFO: message that your data is sent to BVD.
INFO: Sending data

To see which data is sent to BVD, you can use the ‑verbose switch. This will display what kind of data the script is exporting from OMi. In addition, you can see the JSON generated format:

{
       "omiSystem": "omi.system.hpe.com",
       "type": "STACK",
       "label": "Unresolved > 3 hours",
       "mdb": "OMi Dashboard Harald",
       "filterName": "Unresolved for more than 3 hours",
       "@type": "severityWidgetStatus_type",
       "filterStatus": "FILTER_OK",
       "id": "daa043b5-f0bd-4ccc-8e77-cfecf1d7763f",
       "mostCritical": "CRITICAL",
       "numberOfCritical": 24,
       "numberOfMajor": 4,
       "numberOfMinor": 9,
       "numberOfNormal": 344,
       "numberOfUnknown": 2,
       "numberOfWarning": 27

• operations bridge
About the Author

Harald

Comments
Super Contributor.

Hello Harald!

What is the easiest way to display in BVD a prettier event console?

For example, we want to just display a simple application availability from OMi Events.

So we will show some attribute from the event (name of the app), the status and the event age.

The goal is just to show the same event console stripped down and customized.

I have been looking into the documentation and honestly I dont get it for this usecase, where we have "a list of items" rather than just one.

Do I have to add a "text value" item in the dashboard for everypossible app, and then add for each one a "visibility group" to hide/show if it is critical? or is there an easy way for the visio template to understand a list of items (array) that follows the same pattern.

Example:

Shape with Color of the status (critical red, ok green), application name, event age.

Hope this question makes sense