IT Operations Management (ITOM)
cancel

AMBARI - Excavating Big Data to serve business targets

AMBARI - Excavating Big Data to serve business targets

Ian_Bromehead

Do you know what AMBARI means?

Maybe you're familiar with the ASSAM district in India, but do you know what strategic importance it had in ancient times?

According to Wiki, AMBARI is a location North West of Guwahati, itself a site for important archaeological excavations related to ancient Assam.

It seems that those excavations trace the city to the fourth century AD. In ancient times, it was a strategic capital of kings, for example its port held 30,000 war boats. Can you imagine that many? Fierce and proud they must have been, and when you see some of the landscape, it’s not surprising they would want to protect it

Image courtesy of Donvikro

It is a centre of considerable power and might. This Assam area around Ambari and Guwahati is a major commercial and educational hub of Assam--from the fourth century and it still is. Today it is one of the fastest developing cities in India, which is impressive when you consider just how much the country is booming.

I am not giving you a geography lesson, but you know names can be important. When you use the Internet and its Big Data library, you can see the importance of historical information to learn more about ourselves and the important things around us.  I believe this is true in general, but also in specific domains such as IT Operations, the more we know about the historical and present behavior of systems, applications, IT resources the more we can make better judgment and use actionable information effectively.

As I mentioned above, the area around Ambari in India is a vital and growing hub to that ecosystem. It’s probably for this and maybe more emotional, personal reasons that AMBARI was chosen as a name for the latest work engine on Hadoop.

Big Data, the hub of modern IT information technology, brought to business in extremely powerful data clusters, is making strides in many very large and very powerful datacentres. AMBARI provides the means to govern workloads, and provides a framework and tools for provisioning, managing and monitoring HADOOP IT Resources.

Many of the cleverest tactics that protected those Indian and other dynasties and made them more powerful over the years, are found in alliances.

Well I don't consider neither ourselves in HP Software nor HortonWorks to be IT dynasties. (Although both of our organizations have a considerably powerful influence in modern IT solutions.)  We have alligned to provide you with increased capabilities to govern the contributions of those workloads to the business returns you want to gain from investing in HADOOP and Big Data.

If you read my previous blog, you'll see examples of key implementations, and I don't think you will challenge that Big Data HADOOP platforms are increasingly used to support mission critical business initiatives. AMBARI provides core monitoring of the HADOOP resources and workloads, which generates its own share of vital status information that Operations needs to deliver HADOOP based services to the business.

Integrating HP Operations Bridge with HortonWorks HDP 2.2, links that important information such as topology and events to the state of services business users consume and applications that are increasingly mission critical.

Unifying this and the other data from your monitoring tools into a common view, simplifies the IT management landscape, and provides a much faster means to locate root cause, and prioritize operators’ time on issues impacting the business.

Applying Adaptive Predictive Operations, as some of our customers do already, to this use case would generate alerts based on anomalous behavior and give operators minutes even hours to fix issues before any user is ever disrupted.

An example might be a disappointingly slow search. This might be due to lack of resources in the HADOOP cluster, but may also be due to an integration issue, or a network port issue, or a web server farm configuration change.

It is important to build that simplified picture showing each element end-to-end, top-to-bottom. It needs to automatically execute powerful correlation analytics between events concerning these dependent elements, their performance and topology. It also needs produce correlation analytics between remedial actions with direct links to vital IT processes. Guess what? These requirements  describe the power of Operations Bridge.

It unifies data from diverse sources, using powerful connectors and Management Packs .

On Wednesday 19th November 2014, join HortonWorks and HP Software to learn more about this integration, what issues it solves, how it works, and see a demonstration of it in action.

You can register for this webinar here

See here for more information on HP Operations Bridge and learn more here about the content we provide through powerful integrations.

See more about predictive operations here.

See more about IT Operations Analytics using the HAVEn Big Data framework here

• operations bridge
0 Kudos
About the Author

Ian_Bromehead

Comments
New Member.

Hi Every One,

I have Question here!!

We are looking we have the below things add to Description of the OMI alert .

IP address

Hostname

Event class

cateogary

Assignment Group

Tilte of event created.

These infrmation i want to be in Description colum on OMi event page .

Please let me know how we can consoleated these infromation on Description colum.

Regards,

Nirbhay Sharma.