Guest post by Saumya Upadhyaya, Product Manager, Content for HP Operations Manager
Why would I compare HP Operations Manager I (HP OMi) with a deal aggregator, you ask? HP OMi is a universal event-correlation software for all IT domains. By using the HP Run-time Service Model (RTSM), OMi uses context built from IT topology, events and metrics to automatically correlate related events. This leads to quicker and easier root-cause identification—essential in today’s complex virtualized and cloud environments. It is so simple that it can be compared with one of the most popular utilities of the web world.
For simplicity’s sake, let’s take a travel aggregator for example:
1. Aggregator: You decide where and when to go, the aggregator gives you results automatically.
HP OMi: You define (or get an out of the box) real time service model (RTSM) just once, your hybrid infrastructure will get automatically discovered, modified and updated as your infrastructure scales up or down.
2. Aggregator: Gets the input from various different travel websites or the airlines directly.
HP OMi: Get input from other domain tools like Nagios, Microsoft SCOM or even HP tools like HP OM, HP NNMi and so on. You can also get data directly from the monitored entity (such as Oracle Database, Hadoop cluster or Vertica) without a management broker in between. There is something else to add—as we speak, HP, partners and users like you are adding to these integrations – visit the HP BSM Community to connect with partners and HP personnel.
3. Aggregator: Hide duplicate entries, showing you just what you need to act – i.e. compare prices/book tickets
HP OMi: Topology-based event correlation automatically helps identify only actionable inputs, thereby reducing the number of events from thousands to a countable few. This saves on expert staff time, because they are no longer investigating issues which don’t need their attention.
4. Aggregator: End-to-end travel experience— expanding from flight to hotel to deals and full vacations.
HP OMi: Achieve an end-to-end problem lifecycle experience through integrations with HP Service Manager and HP Operations Orchestration. Users can automatically raise service tickets for the problem identified, and execute remedial actions for lights out corrective action
5. Aggregator: Access from anywhere, any device.
HP OMi: We can be too! The OMi mini app allows you to take action on problems immediately. More info on the possibilities here
6. Aggregator: Not sure where to stay, what to see. Use other travelers’ experiences to avoid bad spots, pick the nicest places to stay.
HP OMi: Using the principles of gamification, IT operators are awarded points, which helps foster a gentle competition to do better, find new ways to do things and develop best practices that make colleagues more productive. The end goal is for operational efficiencies, less waste, happier customers. See it working here.