cancel

Zero Byte Files Anyone?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Pete Wiseman
Super Contributor.

Zero Byte Files Anyone?

We are finding about 1 in every 10000 documents we put into TRIM is zero bytes in length.  These documents are fine in Offline Records but when checked in as new records, end up 0 bytes.

Anyone else with the same problem?

It seems to have been an issue only since having TRIM 7.1 build 1150  Prior to this, zero bytes records were suspected to be zero before registration.

Additional info:

Any type e.g. xlsx, docx. pdf. 

Our My Documents (including Offline Records) are redirected to servers

No issues in client Windows Event Logs

Client cache has the record as zero bytes

Regards

Pete

3 REPLIES
Chris Mcklaren
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Zero Byte Files Anyone?

Hi Pete,

There were a few conditions that led to document check-in errors in 6R2.  For example where the document wasn't fully delivered into the TRIM store before the user exited an application or TRIM or both.  Also some auto generated PDF's (say from a bulk scanner) into a TRIMQ had failures.

These errors were believed to be fixed in 7.1x.  I'm thinking since your rate of error is 1 in 10,000 that it might be a user issue.  E.g. end of day close all documents, close TRIM, close email, log-off and go home. In this scenario it is feasable that changed documents may not have had enough time to save and upload.

Something to consider or test perhaps...

Cheers,

Chris Mcklaren

Cheers,
Chris Mcklaren
Pete Wiseman
Super Contributor.

Hi Chris

I did a whol;e lot of testing trying to replicate the issue - registering a large doc from usb stick and yanking it out, hitting power button and the like.  TRIM performed flawlessly - either completeing or rolling back.

Starting to disbelieve users as finding some zero byte records sitting in Offl;ine Records just waiting to be put into TRIM with the inevtable consequences. 

However, it would be nice if TRIM would perform a check at registration seeing It gives an error when they are viewed. Hmm,  I'll put up an enhancenment request shortly.

Regards

Pete

Pete Wiseman
Super Contributor.
Solution

It turns out that TRIM 7.1 build 1828 returns an error when attempting to register the document.:

Internal Error.

A document store add operation returned a blank store identifier.

So the problem is solved!