Client Support
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which user settings are stored on the database now?

Highlighted
raynebc

Which user settings are stored on the database now?

I've read posts here that said that only some user settings are kept on the server side and transfer when the user goes to another computer.  I did only a little testing of a few things:  Customized the fields displayed for a particular record type in the results pane, added some records to favorites, changed the color scheme and while the first two carried over to another trim installation when I opened it, the color customization did not.  Is there a list of which user settings do and do not actually get kept in the database in Trim 7?

15 REPLIES
Grundy
Honored Contributor

Re: Which user settings are stored on the database now?

There's no list.

You could try turning on the Activity Log window in TRIM and goto the Dataset tab (enable logging).

Make changes one at a time and anything that gets written to the database will be stored in the database.

If you just change colour, according to your testing, you shouldn't see a database entry occur in that log.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
raynebc

I'm going to raise an enhancement request for this information to be documented.  All HP has said is that "settings" are now stored server side instead of client side.  Since it only stores some settings, it's important for us to know which it does.

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Wish us luck getting this out of R&D...

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Good Luck,

The answer is somewhere in between what you are thinking..  Basically everything is stored in XML files that transfer to TSXMLData based on if a user changes there settings personally (Don't get global as that doesn't update the TSXMLData for the user.   Basically the functionality is flawed from my point of view but I raised a case and spent a long time explaining it to get the answer, that's how its suppose to beUser settings don't follow the user its stored in the database for the Webclient only....

My suggest is this if you want your users to have a standard global settings, roll out the XML files for the users store them on there home drive and then if they make a change that updates the XML and the changes follow them.  

There are still some registry keys that don't get set by the XML files for user options.   The list below should show you them.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Lex]

"AutoCorrect"=dword:00000000

"CaseSensitive"=dword:00000001

"IgnoreAllCapsWords"=dword:00000000

"IgnoreCappedWords"=dword:00000000

"IgnoreDomainNames"=dword:00000001

"IgnoreMixedCase"=dword:00000000

"IgnoreMixedDigits"=dword:00000001

"IgnoreNonAlphaWords"=dword:00000000

"LastSelectedLex"="uIgnore.tlx"

"MinSuggestDepth"=dword:0000001e

"PhoneticSuggestions"=dword:00000000

"ReportDoubledWords"=dword:00000001

"SplitContractedWords"=dword:00000000

"SplitHyphenatedWords"=dword:00000001

"SplitWords"=dword:00000000

"SuggestSplitWords"=dword:00000000

"TypographicalSuggestions"=dword:00000001

"UserLexFiles"="Uignore.tlx,UChange.tlx,USuggest.tlx,UExclude.tlx,UserDic.tlx"

"UserLexPath"="H:\\Application Data\\Hewlett-Packard\\Lex\\User\\"

"StringTableName"=""

"MainLexFiles"="sscebr.tlx,sscebr2.clx,ssceam.tlx,ssceam2.clx,correct.tlx,accent.tlx,html.tlx"

"AllowAccentedCaps"=dword:00000001

"BackupLex"=dword:00000000

"DialogOriginX"=dword:00000000

"DialogOriginY"=dword:00000000

"IgnoreHTMLMarkups"=dword:00000000

"IncludeAmpersand"=dword:00000000

"IncludeSlash"=dword:00000000

"ReportMixedCaseWords"=dword:00000000

"ReportUncappedWords"=dword:00000001

"ReportWordsWithDigits"=dword:00000000

"StripPossessives"=dword:00000001

"CharSet"=dword:7fffffff

"MainLexPath"="H:\\Application Data\\Hewlett-Packard\\Lex"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\TipOfTheDay\English]

"Offset"=dword:000001bc

"Stamp"="200104271059141"

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\Datasets]

"DefaultDB"="TP"

"LoadDefaultDB"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\HPTRIMOfficeAddIn.Connect]

"CommandLineSafe"=dword:00000000

"Description"="The Add-in allows users of Microsoft Office to save and open documents from HP TRIM"

"FriendlyName"="HP TRIM Add-in for Microsoft Office"

"LoadBehavior"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\PowerPoint\Addins\HPTRIMOfficeAddIn.Connect]

"Description"="The Add-in allows users of Microsoft Office to save and open documents from HP TRIM"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\HP.HPTRIM.Outlook.Addin.AddinModule]

"Description"="The Add-in allows users of Microsoft Outlook to save important E-mail messages into HP TRIM"

"FriendlyName"="HP TRIM Add-in for Microsoft Outlook"

"ADXStartMode"="NORMAL"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\HPTRIMOfficeAddIn.Connect]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Project\Addins\HPTRIMOfficeAddIn.Connect]

Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Oh and the colour should follow you :)

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Thanks Phil, glad you've put in the time and effort to figure that out.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
raynebc

I tried it, the color scheme is not following the user in Trim 7.1.1132.  I'm not entirely sure what Phil meant in his post, but I have confirmed that some user settings carry from one computer to another (using the full thick client), but some do not, this server-side settings cache is not just for WebClient.  I don't have a need to force everybody to have the same pre-built settings, I was just looking for a list of what actually does get stored in the database as far as user settings.

Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Ok, sorry for the confusion.  I've only just woke up :)

The 7.1 Client, works like this.

Client Starts, Checks the XML Files and if they exist , sets the users configuration against what is stored in those files (everything but the registry keys I sent before).  The XML files have a date which is checked against the date in the database TSXMLData and if there is new data against that users data it should update the XML files and write to the user.

All Toolbars, Menu Items, Window Placements, Colours etc are stored in the Frame File. 

Frame_Admin.CFG (Assuming your an administrator).

Now if your colour didn't come across you need to delete your xml file set your colour, make sure it writes back to the database and try again on a different machine, it does work or I would have had 6000 users in battleship grey instead of nice pretty blue.  :)

And what I meant is, you may see some strange behavior because, as I was told the server side ' User configuration' was made for the Webclient, Not for users to roam around the organization, HP's words not mine.

Now I didn't bother going through every single Database Configuration (XML File)because the list is too long, but I did tell you whats not stored in the database

Just be careful, as even with the list of what's in and what's out of the database, it doesn't function as you would expect all the time.

raynebc

I'm not sure this is working right.  On my computer, I renamed frame_admin.cfg (from AppData\Roaming\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\(DATASET ID)\Configuration), launched Trim from another computer and changed the color scheme.  When I opened Trim again on my computer, it did not recreate frame_admin.cfg or load my color change.  I'm seeing that frame_admin.cfg is being recreated whenever I change the color scheme for the dataset, but that is not carrying over when I launch Trim from another computer, even when that computer has no frame_admin.cfg file for the dataset.

Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Check out your TSXMLData table match up your location uri with the forxpUser (I think) then see if the table changes when you change the colour.

As I said, I have been told the data stored in the database is for the webclient only, so maybe the colour is only stored in the xml files.

Phil  

raynebc

I think that's the issue:  The two of us have been told different things regarding this feature.  I can't tell if it's malfunctioning because there's no official, public knowledge about which settings do or do not transfer.

Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Hello Mate,

I agree, that it should be all settings, but I went all the way into RnD and some of my good friends work in product support and QA, and the response I got back was that its for the webclient only, as I thought it was a bug.

In the end I gave up the fight and used the deployment of the xml files, (and now thinking I can build my own programatically) That it was too hard.

Keep me posted if you have any better luck then what I did.

Phil

alexw_1
Regular Collector

I have successfully transferred colour and toolbar settings across multiple machines & profiles, allowing a user to log into a new computer and get their settings.

I copied the whole directory structure that frame_admin.cfg lives in, and duplicated it in the login script.

BUT - I found that the settings generated on one client didn't work on selected others, for reasons that defied logic. I did discover, however, that generating the settings on the affected machines produced a configuration that worked on all machines.

There is clearly a bug in there somewhere.

HTH

raynebc

This clearly needs to go back to the development staff.  I'm going to open a ticket and refer to this thread.

Philip Harney
Occasional Visitor

Hey Alex,

the Frame Xml files for all user types are different.  So you can't just push one set to all user and expect it to work

Frame_Admin.cnfg would only work for Administrators :)  as such, and as toolbars etc are different between Administrators and say End Users, They have a different frame file and so on and so on.

I've successfully deploy toolbars list panes and user settings to over 4000 users, its not a bug, its a advanced deployment requirement.  :-)

Phil

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event